Lotus Europa Forums > Members Cars

1969 S2 Europa Hill climb car - 700whp Turbo Honda K24 swap

(1/11) > >>

Taimoshan:
Hi All,

For those interested, I bought a basket case 69 S1 about 6mths ago from an Englishman living near LeMans in France, with the intention of doing a restoration, but when I dug into the some of the older frame restoration work done there was a huge amount of rust and poor repair under the paint mainly the front cross section requiring the front suspension to be cut off and rebuilt.  This is where things got a little out of hand and the chassis morphed into a full blown race car project.

6mths on I now have fully adjustable front suspension, camber, caster, toe, anti-dive, with cantilever monoshocks and the rear is a 1960's Lotus F1 car inspired suspension design, again with fully adjustable camber, caster, toe and cantilever monoshocks and finally I  have a K24a mounted to an Audi  01E 6 speed transaxle and heavily modified chassis.

I also significantly modified the chassis with a narrowed and boxed the rear section to fit the Honda K Series and to make room for some significant defuser aero between the frame and the 12" wide rear wheels

I have 2 turbos at the moment and have not yet decided which to run,  a GT35 clone and a GT45 clone, the 35 can flow for 600hp and the 45 can flow 800ish. I am aiming around 700kg wet with driver and 700 whp, so should be "fun"

I will start adding a series of photos of progress.

BDA:
Very cool and nicely done!! Please continue to post about your progress. Driving a Europa with the power to weight ratio of an F1 car should be very interesting!

gideon:
That's a lot of progress for 6 months work.  I'm impressed by that.

I have a lot of questions though.  Why does the front cross section appear to now be higher than the backbone?  Where did the front and rear uprights come from?  The Honda engine looks very tall in that chassis - will it fit under the bodywork?   Where will the body mount at the back?   You have the rear suspension lowers mounted to the transaxle - are you sure that's the best plan?  How close were you able to get the rear wheels relative to the bodywork?

SwiftDB4:
Very Impressive! Please keep us posted.

TurboFource:
 :Welcome: wow!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version