Author Topic: rewire job  (Read 4082 times)

Offline BDA

Re: rewire job
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,January 22, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »
UPDATE: I just received my headlight switch from Moss Motors. I'll install it this evening, but from what I can tell, it is much nicer than the one I got from Banks. The shaft movement is not sloppy. Unfortunately, like the one I got from Banks, it is screw terminals. I knew that was going to be the case, but the screws are much nicer and they clamp the wire better than the old one. Other than that, it seems the same in all other respects. As I noted before, the area around the hole will have to be cut down because the switch is for a sheet metal dash (it's actually for old MGs, Triumphs, and Austin Healeys). The Moss Motors part number is 140-500.
« Last Edit: Thursday,January 22, 2015, 08:12:19 PM by BDA »

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #16 on: Friday,January 23, 2015, 07:38:59 AM »
BDA,

Trimming the hole from the back will probably require removing the dash, I think. Is it possible to fit a threaded sleeve into the hole and screw the switch into the sleeve as an extender of some sort? I'm interested to see how this switch works out.

Joji Tokumoto 

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Friday,January 23, 2015, 08:46:40 AM »
Yes, making the dash thinner there will require taking it off at a minimum - a fairly daunting prospect!

I don't think a sleeve would work because you need to get back to the same size as the threads on the switch for the retaining nut and I think you don't have enough length to do that - we're only dealing with about 3/16" or so. You could machine a retaining nut that goes into the hole in the dash. It might require enlarging the hole but that should be doable. If you don't have access to a lathe, even if it costs $100 or even $200 dollars to have one made, it might be worth it! In the past, I've had good luck going to motorcycle shops for small machining projects.

I hooked up the switch and it works really nicely. It feels every bit as good as the one that came with the car. Obviously, you have to convert from screw connectors to spade lugs but that's a small deal.