Author Topic: Door mirrors... I think I need some!  (Read 6955 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Door mirrors... I think I need some!
« Reply #15 on: Saturday,December 06, 2014, 07:58:25 AM »
I bought my first 1975 TCS in 1978. I cannot recall any door mirrors on it, and it was the 5th or 6th last one ever made.

Should never have sold it....................

Just looked at my 1979 photos of my 1975 TCS. It had small chromed mirrors on the doors at the bottom of the triangular glass panel. Very similar to those in 3929r's photos above.
« Last Edit: Saturday,December 06, 2014, 08:00:53 AM by 4129R »

Offline 3929R

« Reply #16 on: Sunday,December 07, 2014, 12:57:23 PM »
Does anyone know if these mirrors are adjustable? I have poked and prodded a bit, but not too hard as they seem a bit delicate. There appears to be no adjustment, though this would seem odd.

As BDA said the mirror inside the cover is adjustable. Mine were very stiff or frozen till I took them apart to clean, grease (plastic compatible, or did I not use grease for fear of attracting dirt?), and adjust the mechanism. It's been awhile but as I remember there is an adjustable spring tensioner?  Sorry I don't remember the details but I think the chromed plastic piece slides forward and off in some way. I can try to look when I go over to my garage next.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Sunday,December 07, 2014, 01:12:58 PM »
Mark is right. It may need a little lube.

You can take the cover off by loosening a phillips screw underneath the mirror. You will see where the mirror adjustment is behind the mirror. There is a nut and a spring so you can adjust the tension but I suspect it just needs a little lube to be worked into the mechanism. At least, that's the way it is with the current Sebring mirrors. I'm pretty sure they work and go together the same was as the older ones.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday,December 10, 2014, 11:46:37 AM »
Thanks for the advise on mirror adjustment. I was sure they must be adjustable, but they seem delicate and didn't want to go poking around in a ham fisted manner to force it. The fact is, the driver's side mirror is well adjusted now, but curiosity was getting the better of me. The passenger side mirror is not properly adjusted at all, but not sure it is actually worth the bother, since as others have mentioned, it can barely be seen anyway.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor