Author Topic: Windshields  (Read 1395 times)

Offline jbcollier

Windshields
« on: Sunday,October 26, 2014, 01:37:39 PM »
I notice pro-source glass is again adverting after-market Europa windshields on ebay: $450 + $25 crating and $135 to $185 shipping (cont US).  Pilkington Classic sells original spec windshields (they made them for Lotus) for $300 + $125 shipping (cont US, no packing fee).

I bought one of the Chinese knock-off windshields from pro-source and it didn’t fit, not even close.  I contacted him right away and he did not get back to me until 3 months later.  He made vague promises to “get a replacement to me”.  That is another three months past now with no windshield, or further communication.

YMMV,

John

Offline BDA

Re: Windshields
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,October 26, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »
Sorry you got caught by an apparent scammer, John. Hopefully, you'll get your money (or windshield) eventually!

Thanks for the warning and the info.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,October 26, 2014, 07:01:18 PM »
I don't think Pro-Source is a scammer.  They are just sourcing their windshields from a supplier with poor quality control.  The windshield might just work in the later glue-in cars but there just isn't any wiggle room in the early cars with the rubber seal -- it's about 1 to 2 inches too narrow across.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Monday,October 27, 2014, 12:52:52 PM »
John, is Pilkington locate in North America or somewhere in Europe?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Monday,October 27, 2014, 03:06:02 PM »
Pilkington is a UK company with US operations.  The prices quoted were from the US operations.  Search for Pilkington Classic in google.

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,October 28, 2014, 10:46:02 AM »
I notice pro-source glass is again adverting after-market Europa windshields on ebay: $450 + $25 crating and $135 to $185 shipping (cont US).  Pilkington Classic sells original spec windshields (they made them for Lotus) for $300 + $125 shipping (cont US, no packing fee)..

YMMV,

John

Great info as I am looking for one for our '71 S2. I found original factory glass for $550.00 + $320.00 shipping  :o . $300 + $125 shipping sounds more like what I would consider a fair price. I saw the one you mentioned from pro source & was instantly skeptical, (picture looked like it wasn't even an Europa windshield). Thanks for the heads up & info ! I hope they make it right with you one way or another.... ( If not give me the guys number & I'll start blowing his phone up! lol.  ;D )