Author Topic: Axles for NG3?  (Read 691 times)

Offline TurboFource

Axles for NG3?
« on: Sunday,March 24, 2024, 05:27:55 AM »
I realize you would have to go to a twin link rear suspension, what cv joint/ axle can be used with
the NG3? None of the Renault ones seem available here, is an adapter available?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline GavinT

Re: Axles for NG3?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,March 24, 2024, 06:15:16 AM »
I realize you would have to go to a twin link rear suspension, what cv joint/ axle can be used with
the NG3? None of the Renault ones seem available here, is an adapter available?

No idea. ;D

If I recall, Richard Mann used BMW 2002i stub axles and unmodified Alfetta drive shafts with a 395 gearbox.
For the inner flange, he used the Renault part, machined it back and welded on a steel plate drilled to accept the inner Alfetta CV. Dunno for sure but I think the Alfetta uses common 100mm Lobro joints.

Someone else on this forum used VW IRS stub axles - Andy Harwood?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,March 24, 2024, 07:14:41 AM »
There are several options with an NG3:

- disassemble and fit the output shafts from a Europa transaxle.  No need for twin link.

- fit a twin link and just use the stock Europa half shafts unpinned.  Works just fine.  I'm doing this with a 395.

- do a lot of machining  and use CV shafts.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,March 24, 2024, 09:04:15 AM »
JB,
I think BDA is also doing the second option you mentioned.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,March 24, 2024, 11:24:13 AM »
GavinT remembers that our own Andy Harwood came up with what I thought was avery intriguing mod by replacing the stub axle and the rest of the driveline up to the tranny with VW sand rail parts. The stub axles are hardened (and maybe also used on Porsches?) and the CV joints are found on Porsche 944s. So far I haven't taken it any further than to get some of the particulars from Andy. Jmarkusic also posted about it here (https://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=4782.0). Because of the difference in the VW and Renault splines, I believe it requires you to sacrifice a pair of Renault CV joints on which you would modify in order to attach the VW/Porsche CV joints. Such a setup should be plenty strong enough for almost any motor likely to be installed in a Europa.

My setup came from Richard (at Banks) as an early twin link kit. Richard used a Renault CV joint on the tranny side (which provided the plunge in the half shaft and which I pin to the tranny output shaft) of the half shaft (which had to be fabricated for my car at a drive shaft shop) and a U-joint at the upright end. Apparently, he decided later that the CV joint wasn't really necessary so newer versions of his kit just have you not pin the inner u-joint as JB describes in his second option.

A buddy of mine made up a Richard Mann type twin link setup by anchoring the inner end of the upper link to the tranny and the outer end to upright/radius arm as described here (https://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1724.0). My buddy has a 365 but I would expect it to be easily adapted to an NG3. I'm pretty sure he kept his stock Europa half shafts and u-joints. His inner u-joint is obviously not pinned. He doesn't have a lot of miles on his but it seems to be working pretty well. After all, it really isn't so different from Richard's twin link kit - it just doesn't require a special cross member.

I think the strongest option is the VW/Porsche - Andy Harwood setup but it's also the most complicated to do. The Lotus Supplies twin link (I believe JB has this) is probably the easiest to do and surely less expensive that the VW/Porsche route. The Richard Mann setup using the stock half shafts would be the least expensive but would require a bit of fiddling to get the geometry right.

For most of us (except for people like kram350kram) any of those three twin link options would be sufficient.

On the other hand, JB is correct that a twin link is not required for an NG3.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #5 on: Monday,March 25, 2024, 12:53:58 PM »
I think I found some cv-joint axles that will fit … ordered today … will let you know if they fit when they come in (the length is probably off but that is fine, I wanted to find something that will fit the output shafts without hacking up any of my original parts as I want to save all that stuff).

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,March 28, 2024, 04:04:59 PM »
They fit  :pirate:
« Last Edit: Thursday,March 28, 2024, 04:06:55 PM by TurboFource »

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,March 28, 2024, 04:30:20 PM »
Hot digity!!!   :pirate:

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,March 28, 2024, 04:38:50 PM »
Those will require a twin link set up.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,March 28, 2024, 06:03:38 PM »
JB, yep …. Fabrication for future me

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,March 28, 2024, 06:15:02 PM »
Hey Turbo, might need to do my tension/compression spring axle retaining conglomeration. HA!

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,March 28, 2024, 06:26:57 PM »
Kram, your picture is empty!  :o

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #12 on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 04:23:10 AM »
Yes, file was too big, can’t seem to reduce the picture size to load? Think I had some pics in my V-8 project build. Will try again later.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #13 on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 05:37:43 AM »
They fit  :pirate:

Are you going to tell us what they are or keep us in suspenders.  ;D

Offline BDA

« Reply #14 on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 08:13:50 AM »
Yes, file was too big, can’t seem to reduce the picture size to load? Think I had some pics in my V-8 project build. Will try again later.

I’d like to see more pictures of your V-8 project. Here are two ways to reduce the size of your pictures:

https://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1379.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_55eg00H-w

The second one is for Windows 10 and newer. There is a similar tool for Apples. Searching in YouTube for “snipping tool apple” will give you videos about it.