Author Topic: Painting spider wheels  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Chuck Nukem

Painting spider wheels
« on: Tuesday,February 18, 2014, 09:24:05 PM »
Does anyone have a paint code to match the wheels to? Any tips or tricks? The grey inside the rim looks a bit lighter due to not being clear coated. I am planning to soda blast the wheels to remove the scale and paint chips. I have heard that clear coat and polished aluminum don't really stick to one another, and my wheels are proof of that! What have you guys done???

Offline Arizona

Re: Painting spider wheels
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,February 19, 2014, 06:59:51 AM »
I refinished my wheels probably 30 years ago when the clear coat began to peel. I didn't like the gray so I can't help you there. I painted between the fins with aluminum Rustoleum from a spray can. The wheels are not clear coated and I've never had to do more than a bit of Mother's polish to keep them looking good.
George F. Johnson

Offline 3929R

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,February 19, 2014, 03:15:52 PM »
Not sure it will help but coincidentally I just posted pics of my stock wheels for another owner.
http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=625.0
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline JLM

« Reply #3 on: Friday,February 21, 2014, 11:12:33 AM »
I've seen this Eastwood product on several wheels and it seems to be close to what the original charcoal  color was on the spider wheels. I'm planning on using this when I get my stock Twink wheels refinished.

http://www.eastwood.com/charcoal-gray-wheel-paint-set.html

Larry Mullen
1973 Twin-Cam Special
1997 Saleen S-281
2004 WRX Wagon

Offline cal44

« Reply #4 on: Friday,February 21, 2014, 06:31:03 PM »
I like Rustoleum.   The finish becomes quite hard.  Eastwood claims to have more solids than any rattle can.  It takes to long to cure and even then the finish is soft and will scratch with ease.

After getting the old finish off, masking will be the PITA as with all wheel.  Using the thin tape (1/16") is very helpful as the top of the fins have a step down before painted area.

I've always admired Fuchs wheels (Porsche).  Anodized black centers with clear anodized rims (pre 1990).

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #5 on: Friday,February 21, 2014, 07:22:43 PM »
I bought some charcoal grey paint for my hvlp gun from English color, but the mix had too much metal flake and was a bit dark. I am going to trade it in for a new mix. Maybe they will get it right this time. They last thing I want is for my wheels to look like the finish on a new kia.