Author Topic: 0689R  (Read 528 times)

Offline Ultimaguy476

Re: 0689R
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,June 02, 2022, 06:21:51 PM »
I want to put out there that I am by no means a professional fabricator.  But I am a master tinkerer, and what better canvass to start with than a previously wrecked europa?
My welding sucks due to bad eyes and a general lack of natural welding talent.  So I don't weld aluminum and my steel welds are strong if not pretty.
A lot of my ideas don't work out so well, but it only acts as input for the next design.  I have to say that, other than front inboard shocks, I am really almost done.....yeah, right!

I use this car for autocross and small road track track days.  I instruct for a few different track day clubs here in the northeast but the lotus isn't so great for most of the tracks....too slow for the straights and too fast for the turns to have fun with all the newer Corvettes and Camaros.

I solved that problem by buying a 2013 Ultima Can Am.  For the uninitiated, think Lotus Europa, 2100lbs, 650hp!  Screw those Corvettes and Camaros!  Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ultima+gtr+top+gear

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #16 on: Friday,June 03, 2022, 06:41:02 AM »
Very cool car.  The nose reminds me of the Marcos Mantara LM600.

Offline Ultimaguy476

« Reply #17 on: Friday,June 03, 2022, 07:16:43 AM »
About the nose....
It hasn't been finished.  With the front splitter, the nose was too long and the splitter rubbed on almost everything.  So I cut about five inches off the front and put it back together. 

At the same time, I got rid of the light pods.  In doing that, I ran into the panel that was behind the stock radiator position, so I just stopped there.  Same on other side.  I wasn't planning to finish the corners at that time, just needed to shorten it, so the front corners are still living in my imagination.  I'm hoping for a look like the GT40 and the elise.