Author Topic: 0518R  (Read 248 times)

Offline Onbeachw320

0518R
« on: Sunday,February 06, 2022, 09:57:44 PM »
  Hi.  Not much getting done on the car.  I hit a snag when I disassembled down to the rear bearing carriers and found stripped threads.  I am pretty sure I'll want to deal with them and be sure I can snug down the bolts, so I am going to have a conference with my auto shop instructor and be sure that I am not getting stupid about how I approach this restoration.  I am pretty sure he'll agree Heli-Coils will get me back where I want to be.  I also decided to contact Banks or what's left of them.  It seems that I expected my Europa manual on CD to cover details about a raw bodyshell, which it doesn't.  My bobbins are all glassed in, and I suspect Banks did that.  But... I am seeing some other things I need to know more about.  It appears that the customer was left to glass in the fiberboard firewall panels, and the work is attrocious.  I am going to grind the work away and try again -- the air was not pressed out and I suspect since I see cloth with no resins in it, that it was never laminated correctly.  I need practice anyway.  I mentioned that I would like to try to smooth out some of the factory panel bonding because it looks so crude, although this is under the bodywork away from prying eyes.
  But my big question is this rather large flange under the rocker panel area.  I never noticed on my 1971 S-2 if it extended so low, or if it was unattached like mine is now.  I suspect I will want to bond it to the rest of the bodyshell behind it, about 5 mm. inboard.  Most of you probably notice that the Europa can have a fishbelly appearance at the rockers, with a droop in the center.  I have an opportunity to "shape" the extra deep flange and minimize this appearance.  I am hoping that Banks (Lotus-Supplies) will contact me with some ideas, otherwise...  what are your ideas?  Here's an attachment to remind you!  The second photo shows the leading edge, driver's side, of the rocker panel area.  I guess the flange isn't excessively deep, but I wonder if I could trim it at least a bit.  What you cannot see well, though, is that the flange is a few mm. shy of contacting the fiberglass behind it, and I suspect that it should eventually.  In fact, I suspect that I would want nearly a watertight seal there.  I am thinking of laminating a "spacer" between the two and therefore gluing the whole shebang at that point.

Offline jbcollier

Re: 0518R
« Reply #1 on: Monday,February 07, 2022, 06:18:39 AM »
Heli-coils work great.  In fact I fit them to all the holes in my rear uprights.

Europas have good-one-side fibreglass.  That's fine and more than good enough.  Spend the effort and time on properly finishing the "good" side.

Yes, that "sill" panel should be bonded to the rest of the body.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Monday,February 07, 2022, 09:58:26 AM »
If I understand the sill issue, I don't think you want to bond the sill to the body. The outer seatbelt is bolted to the inner body above the sill. If you want/need to replace that, you won't want the sill bonded to the inner body.

Or did I misunderstand what we're talking about?

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #3 on: Monday,February 07, 2022, 10:43:09 AM »
The outer sill is bonded to the inner shell with bonding paste and rivets. Glassing it together would be overkill and as BDA has mentioned, the lower seat belt mounts are sandwiched between the two. Stainless steel seat belt mounts are available which would reduce the need to ever have to separate the inner and outer again but the original method works pretty good tbh.

Looking at your original pics I’m wondering why, if the shell was new from banks at some point, someone has gone to all the trouble of sanding the gel coat off? Maybe it’s just the pics but new shells from banks where supplied in darkish grey gel coat (being new it was good to prep and paint onto) and there appears to be a patch or two of the dark grey which leads me to believe there are bits remaining?
They wouldn’t have a bulkhead fitted so you are correct to assume that the PO is responsible for installing it into your shell.
They would also be supplied with all the required bobbins installed correctly where needed.

Back to the lower sill… most of the ones I have seen are left ‘deeper’ than original and require trimming to look right - the flat section that the rivets can be seen along.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Monday,February 07, 2022, 11:08:15 AM »
I forgot to mention this site (http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/). Actually, it's a page of a much larger site. It has the S1/S2 and TC/TCS workshop and parts manuals as searchable PDFs. There is also a wealth of information to Europas there.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #5 on: Monday,February 07, 2022, 04:55:53 PM »
  Another good tech site is our friends on the west coast.

https://www.gglotus.org/ggtech/ggtech.htm

Dakazman