Author Topic: ...back again  (Read 359 times)

Offline Onbeachw320

...back again
« on: Wednesday,December 29, 2021, 04:25:57 PM »
  Hi.  My name is Dan.  I live in Ocean Park, Washington.  I have replaced a 1971 S-2 that ended up going back to the U.K. and now have a 1970 S-2 that has finally been delivered.  Since I sold the first S-2, I went to auto school across the river in Oregon and gained the knowledge I needed when I had the '71.  I believe that now I am ready to embark on bringing this project back to the road.
  One of the biggest issues with the first one was that the previous owner had replaced the Renault engine with a twin rotor Mazda 12A instead, then didn't finish up the rest of the project.  At least by the time I gave up on it, I had acquired the correct original Renault engine and sent the car away, with nearly all of the components to finish the job.
  My plan is to keep this car as original as possible, since I don't need the car to compete or even be fast.  Operation as designed should be good enough for me.  Neither car had the original wheels, and this one has the Cosmic wheels.  I even found two hubcaps for them - see attachment!
  The project keeps me busy in its heated garage, a nice place to retreat to while I figure out how I'm going to get this done.  Next attachment shows the bodyshell, which is unused and was purchased, I was told, from Banks in the 1980s.
  I am thinking that the starting point will be getting the chassis part restored while I learn to paint the bodyshell and get the doors mounted.  I still need to get out there and get a complete inventory of the parts that I have, and those that I'll need.
  The previous owner seems to have redone the chassis by the looks of things, and I am going to spend some time making sure he's mitigated the rust before I continue building up the suspension components.
  I have questions about the needs the car might have, since I was never able to drive the first.  They relate to the 35 amp alternator -- I was wondering if that stock cooling system is adequate, firstly (it wouldn't have been for the rotary 12A), or if a more powerful aftermarket fan might be a better choice.  Next question is whether an aftermarket fan system might require more juice than the 35 amp system could deliver.  Any experiences fellow owners have would be appreciated as I make the decisions about these things. 
  I am seeing names I remember from years ago -- it's good to see people holding on to these relics and enjoying them.  I hope to do the same.

Offline BDA

Re: ...back again
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,December 29, 2021, 05:03:52 PM »
 :Welcome: Onbeachw320!!

I think this one will be a much more satisfying project than your first S2. From the looks of your frame, you have a good platform!

I don’t know much about S2s but I would say to get a fan with the highest CFM rating. Some have gone to a puller fan, which I would not think is necessary, and aluminum radiators are pretty and not expensive but a good standard should be enough. You wouldn’t need to upgrade your alternator for a better fan.

Keep us informed of your progress and keep posting pictures!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,December 29, 2021, 05:28:09 PM »
Cosmic wheels were used in the air-cooled VW world as well.  These chaps have the caps and clips:

https://www2.cip1.com/c32-cos-5515-cap/

Go with the highest output "broad-blade" fan you can find.  There are lots of inexpensive, narrow blade fans out there but they do not move as much air.  It is very easy to fit a 50 or 60 amp alternator.  Beyond that, you need to change the wiring for the extra current flow.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,December 29, 2021, 06:40:42 PM »
Should be a nice project!

Are there holes in the front of the chassis for the coolant tubing?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Onbeachw320

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,December 29, 2021, 11:49:44 PM »
  You can see the holes.  I have brand new transfer pipes, and I am excited to have them, but so far I am not seeing the rubber gaskets to cushion them in the openings.  I am still going through the stuff that came with the car, and although I have the manual on CD, most of what I am recognizing I remember from the first one.  Unfortunately, there are a few parts I am missing, like the rubber gaskets.  I saw just this week a frame that was repaired with a very thick frontmost panel, and I am happy the previous owner didn't go overboard with the choices he made with this frame.  So far it looks great.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,December 30, 2021, 01:14:23 PM »
If you get a bigger fan, look into adding a relay for it. The fan I got draws a lot more current than stock.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,December 30, 2021, 06:43:05 PM »
 :Welcome:

Onbeachw320

Glad to have another 70 S2 around😃.  It looks like your off to a good start
Dakazman

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #7 on: Friday,December 31, 2021, 08:20:18 AM »
Thank You JB.  I bought a set of Cosmic wheels through the forum without center caps.  I am refinishing the wheels to change the color to gold.  I can use the center caps from my John Brown wheels with the Lotus emblems I stuck on, but the Cosmic center caps will be a more authentic appearance. 
Can you recommend a place for tires too?  Tire Rack has only Toyo A888R and Hoosier tires available in the 205 60 13 and 185 60 13.  John Brown Wheels has a few more options but the shipping adds an additional $300.00.  Phil's Tire Service has only Toyos and Nankings. 
The aftermarket wheels I bought from John Brown Wheels were a bargain including shipping, but the tires and not such a good deal, but they have a few more choices.  Go figure.