Author Topic: Reworked dash mounting and grounds?  (Read 183 times)

Offline Richard48Y

Reworked dash mounting and grounds?
« on: Monday,September 06, 2021, 02:46:29 PM »
After spending a couple of days on my knees or falling out of a red Europa to work on wiring, I am very curiouse to see any modified dashes.
The car I worked on had only a few grounds hooked up and those that were hooked up were very loose.
Some of that might be that the wood shrunk so the thumb-nuts for the gauges were no longer tight?
Main grounds to the chassis were just floating around, and they do NOT fit the 1/4" screws at the bottom of the dash.

I want to make mine easier to remove and add an aluminum rear side grounding plane.
With so may other cars here I would be very happy to copy someone elses clever mods if they are out there.
I have a laminating machine and may do my veneer over aluminum if I may find a suitable glue.

I came to the conclusion that it is "Possible" to remove a dash with the windscreen in place but not desireable.

I did do a site search but had no real results.

Offline BDA

Re: Reworked dash mounting and grounds?
« Reply #1 on: Monday,September 06, 2021, 04:11:53 PM »
I’m not sure how much I can help but let me try. Some of the grounds with small ring connectors probably are attached to studs on the back of the trim strips at the bottom of the dash. There are likely other grounds at the angle pieces at either end of the dash. What I’m not  sure of is where they are attached to the “real” ground. A simple wire could connect the frame to the trim strip would do it but I don’t think that’s it.

As for making the dash easier to take out, I have heard of some people who isolated all the dash wiring attaching them to the dash with a plug to go from the dash wiring to the rest of the loom. Then, theoretically, you unplug the dash wiring disconnect mechanical gauges and heater controls and unbolt the dash.

It ic certainly is possible to take the dash off with the windshield in place. Taking out the crash pad is a different story.

Does that help at all?

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2 on: Monday,September 06, 2021, 04:19:42 PM »
 Hi Richard.
  The ground wires should be kept intact with the original schematic so that you and others can troubleshoot the components easily. If you do make changes, document what you did.
  That is a problem with the tc and Tcs schematics , a lack of the ground routing.
Dakazman

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #3 on: Monday,September 06, 2021, 05:32:52 PM »
Trying not to get too many irons in the fire at one time so concentrating on the engine for Hands On right now.
But no harm in planning the dash ahead of time.
Defineitly want to make it simpler to work on and add more fuses.
The Amp gauge and nearly all current going through the ignition is a bit scary.