Author Topic: Wiper Switch Update – Ron’s 70 S2 Crossflow  (Read 262 times)

Offline RonPNW

• S2 54/1678
Wiper Switch Update – Ron’s 70 S2 Crossflow
« on: Sunday,June 13, 2021, 09:56:00 PM »
Wiper Switch Update – Ron’s 70 S2 Crossflow
This is not new but I could not find the original article that suggested this. The wiper switch is easy to take apart. This should be done to clean the contacts. I used 600grit sandpaper to remove the tarnish and a little green. An abrasive pad would also work.

While kind of fun and funky I never liked the manual pump aspect of the switch. This is what I did:
Disassemble the switch and remove the rubber pump bulb. There is no need to cut the hose connections as I did, but one of mine was broken.
Order  a microswitch. I used one like this:  https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/honeywell-sensing-and-productivity-solutions/V7-2B17D8-048/1248531?utm_adgroup=Switches&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Supplier_Honeywell%20Sensing_0480_Co-op&utm_term=&utm_content=Switches&gclid=CjwKCAjwtpGGBhBJEiwAyRZX2v3eRsBAFkAv4L5N2AnToVX8HKyqjHsdhPMSQT9XPXiP3p4my1XupxoCqfUQAvD_BwE
My microswitch was SPDT (single pole double throw) so one terminal is normally connected and the other is normally open. When the plunger / switch is depressed they switch. You can also get a SPST switch that is just on - off.

You can use any size micro switch, just adjust the size of the cutout in the switch. The only requirement is to have the pump plunger activate the microswitch lever. Trim the switch body and rear cap as shown in the pictures. I made it a little snug but you could tighten up a loose fit with some hot melt glue. I added a pair of small screws to retain the rear cover. That’s it.
Install a pump of your choice and simply push the wiper switch to turn on the pump.
Second restoration of a 1970 S2, now with a Spyder chassis, 807-13 crossflow engine and some modern upgrades. This car is just for fun!

Offline dakazman

Re: Wiper Switch Update – Ron’s 70 S2 Crossflow
« Reply #1 on: Monday,June 14, 2021, 01:00:47 AM »
  Thanks Ron ,

That will work! clean, easy answer for something hideous I just removed from my harness .
  I Like 👍 it.
Dakazman