Author Topic: Wireless power door locks on a 70 S@  (Read 293 times)

Offline RonPNW

• S2 54/1678
Wireless power door locks on a 70 S@
« on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 02:36:25 PM »
So started with the dash, which led to the window switches, which lead to the window motors, which led to the doors and now I’m stuck at the door locks. One side is worn out, the other is heavily glued in by the PO, both are surrounded by stress cracks and the original design is such that a screw driver can easily open the door. Did I mention how hard it is to remove or install the standard door locks?  I see that I can buy new door locks but the poor security (needed for what I hope will be a daily driver) is not resolved.

Is it crazy to consider wireless power door locks? I can simply remove the existing door locks and glass over the hole, security is much improved, it’s a cleaner look with no visible door lock and I can use the horn function to find the damm car!

I’m looking at this kit   https://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=W01F-712T
About the same cost as new locks, less effort to install since it just connects to the inside door latch rod and much improved security.

What do you guys think?

Thanx
Ron
Second restoration of a 1970 S2, now with a Spyder chassis, 807-13 crossflow engine and some modern upgrades. This car is just for fun!

Offline BDA

Re: Wireless power door locks on a 70 S@
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 04:46:34 PM »
I have several things to say about this but maybe the first thing should be that it will be very difficult to make these cars (those with quarter windows) safe from theft. All you have to do is cut the rubber gasket around the quarter window, pop it out, and unlock the door. That might not be obvious to everybody but I think you'd have to assume that a motivated crook would figure that out.

I have heard of at least one guy who installed a similar kit (I don't think he deleted the door locks though) and I remember seeing a picture of one of the motors mounted in the door. I just did a search on this forum and didn't find it so maybe I saw it on the groups.io group.

I bought a similar kit to one day have remote keyless entry. The biggest problem I have is that with electric mirrors, there are already a lot of wires going in to and out of the door that I'll have to make some adjustments to how they route through the pivot of the door (I've already gotten rid of the aluminum tube that holds the door lift wires).

It should be fairly straight forward to hook it all up (especially if you only have window lift wires!). I might plan for the possibility that your battery might die or a wire come loose so you aren't totally dependent on the electric locks.

Edit: I didn't notice the price on your kit! You shouldn't have to spend anywhere near that! Here's one I found (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Central-Power-Door-Lock-Unlock-Actuator-Remote-Kit-2-Keyless-Entry-4-Doors/301485755573?fits=Model%3A2&epid=1639492149&hash=item4631f38cb5:g:dQQAAOSwLKhb9iiE). Some are available with an alarm siren. Some are for only two doors but they aren't much cheaper than this one. I did a search on ebay for "remote keyless entry kit" and there are lots of them.
« Last Edit: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 05:09:37 PM by BDA »

Offline jbcollier

Re: Wireless power door locks on a 70 S@
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 06:40:23 PM »
Ok, what are you trying to protect?  Valuables inside the car?  Simple, don't leave any in it.  Seriously.  If they see something expensive, they will just break a window to get at it.

Are you trying to stop the car from being stolen?  Either fit a steering lock, or a removable steering wheel.  Both are very good deterrents.