Author Topic: Yahoo Cripples  (Read 2215 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Yahoo Cripples
« on: Saturday,September 07, 2013, 01:23:02 AM »
Sorry for the offensive title, but this is how I feel about myself.  This isn't a rant either.  it's a plea for help. I've been effectively banned from using Yahoo's large Lotus Europa site.  Apparently, Yahoo needs to "thin the herd" and has selectively limited some members' ability to access and use the site.  in my case, it may be due to my tendency to ramble, taking up server space.  Bottom line, for those like me, gaining access to Yahoo has made their site too difficult and too complicated to use.

Yet, with 2,500 members, it's the best  available database for information, all things Lotus... And that's something I really don't want to give up.

Joe's site is more user-friendly, and honestly, a better, more satisfying experience. But not having the advertising power of Yahoo, it's not as big (not that there's anything wrong with that:).

Here's my proposal: there will be others in the same situation as me.  Is there something we as individuals, or as a group can do to link ourselves to Yahoo's group through this site?  I'm not savvy on all things technology, so I don't know if its even possible.

I'm looking for ideas... For example, can lotuseuropa.org join the Yahoo lotus group? And could the things posted here, automatically be posted over there?

Does anyone have any ideas on how those of us, unfortunate enough to be crippled by Yahoo. to still have a somewhat normal life?

Thanks for any help you may offer.
Bruce
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Yahoo Cripples
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,September 07, 2013, 09:19:07 AM »
Do you mean the Yahoo Groups thing Bruce ?  I'm on that as well although I only get the messages as a daily digest email and rarely log on to the site itself.  When I do I log in using my Gmail account, mainly because I keep forgetting the Yahoo details as it's so rarely that I use them.  If you have a gmail account, it might be worth seeing if you can access the members area that way ?

I'd noticed in this morning's digest that there's something going on about Yahoo re-jigging the software/system and it seems to be causing upset. I can't imagine why on earth Yahoo would want to get rid of people though, surely the more people they have looking at their adverts the better for them ?

Brian

ps If your old account is suspended/banned, why not try re-enlisting under another email address & identity ?  No, hush my mouth, no-one would ever do such a thing  ;)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #2 on: Friday,September 13, 2013, 04:26:30 PM »
Sorry I've been so tardy in replying to this post. Unfortunately there is presently not a way to tie the groups together. They are on different operating platforms. I do have a link on the front page to Jerry's knowledge base, which is an extract of all the post on  Yahoo Groups. He maintains the updates weekly if not every few days. I have also been experiencing issues with the new format on Yahoo Groups.

We have had a few people drift over to this forum in the last week or so. But I'm afraid until Yahoo dumps the group format it is unlikely we will see a lot of those members merge to this forum. Jerry's site (Lotus-Europa.com) does have on his server every post that has been done on the Yahoo Group. So that archive will be with us as long as Jerry's site exist.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #3 on: Friday,September 20, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »
I check the Yahoo Group every day. The new format is even more confusing than before. Maybe it's just me but the threads don't seem to be properly connected. I pick a topic and click to see all posting for that topic and get all recent postings regardless of the topic. It seems that no matter how you select a thread you either get all or you get one or two. Yahoo shows that there is a post count for a given thread but will not display post.  :confused: Very confusing. This is an improvement over last week, at least the post are no longer on top of each other, and spaced correctly. I think the developers are fixing bugs as they go. Such an antiquated format.

I'm basically venting this morning. 

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Friday,September 20, 2013, 10:58:13 PM »
Don't ya know that computer geeks must always update software until it becomes unusable ?   :) 

(apologies to any computer geeks on here, I'm only joking....)

After Bruce posted this topic I went over to see what it's all about because in truth I'd not noticed any difference in my group emails. But there's the thing, I never have checked in daily to Yahoo groups, I've always gone with the daily digest email list and browsed through that for interesting topics.  So to my eyes, when I logged in it was almost like 20yrs ago when I first discovered this interwebby thing and bulletin boards. I almost started looking for the Altavista search site......

I realize this may sound very harsh, but the best thing about Yahoo groups are the great folks on the list who keep going despite this tinkering about, everything else is just a throwback to the 90s. I just wish they'd come over here because it would really fly then.

Brian

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #5 on: Saturday,September 21, 2013, 10:54:32 AM »
Thanks to ya'all for the input.  I seriously have tried relying on the email version of the posts, but in order to look at pictures, I think I still have to go online.  Maybe they've corrected the horrendous way it was set up when I was first afflicted.  I'll go back there and have a look.  I haven't been as attentive to the Lotus sites of late...

My car is in the hands of a fiberglass master and out of my sight.  This has been a problem for me (postpartum depression), so yesterday, I went and took out the dash and center console so I can have something to work on while I'm waiting for my car to take shape.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,March 12, 2014, 10:27:52 AM »
Anyone having an issue with teh Yahoo group site?

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,March 12, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »
Anyone having an issue with the Yahoo group site?
Seems to working fine for me.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)