Author Topic: Big driver.... Small car??????  (Read 1098 times)

Offline ottocycle

Big driver.... Small car??????
« on: Sunday,August 11, 2013, 04:48:37 PM »
Hello everyone,
I am 6"3" , 235 lbs , and have a nice TCS. Is there an advantage to taking out the seat rails and bolting the seat to the floor? What about the pedals?
Any suggestions  on making a little more room without butchering the car?
Thanks-

Dermot.

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Big driver.... Small car??????
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,August 11, 2013, 07:32:06 PM »
Removing the seat runners for more headroom has been done at the expense of seat adjustability. TCS seat bottoms have a rubber webbing support. See how how your rear end feels in the seat with the webbing and/or the cushion removed , may gain you some headroom. As for the pedals, I don't believe there is any adjustablty built in. The absolute last resort will be a bubble top cut into the roof.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline ottocycle

« Reply #2 on: Monday,August 12, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »
Thanks for the advice. My car is too original to make any drastic changes to. If I like it as much as I hope I will try to find another, in bad shape, to hot rod. That will get the Gurney/Zagato bubble in the roof but for now I want to be more judicious. Seat adjustability is not important, I am the only driver, but does removing the rails help with legroom?

Dermot

Offline cal44

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,August 13, 2013, 05:00:23 AM »
Dermot,

take the seat out, then sit where the seat was.  This can give you an idea of maximum room for your build.  Have a seat made or find a used Europa seat you can mess with.  As for the pedals...........I drive with my shoes off and Costco socks on.

Another problem is the stinkin' headrest.  It's angled too far forward.  I posted before about that issue.   I'm taking in the seats and having the boys shave down the foam and adjust the seat covers accordingly.
It will make a difference as every inch counts.............at least that is what I've heard :huh:

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,August 13, 2013, 09:38:59 AM »
Hi there,

If this post appears twice, it's down to a senior moment on my part....   heaven knows what I clicked but my first attempt seems to have gone west.  Anyway I was working on my car today and remembered this thread so took a peek underneath the seat. I reckon if you bolted directly to the floor then you'd gain about an inch, maybe a touch more depending how you did it. The subframe isn't that deep but it is bolted to raised bobbins in the floor which I suppose you'd have to keep to unless you did some external stiffening of the floorpan.

Is it headroom you're trying to gain or just more space to make getting in and out easier ?

If it's headroom then you might consider another seat design, the modern Lotus seats are quite thin and no doubt a racing shell would fit ok.

If it's room to make life easier getting out, then how about either a smaller wheel or a more modern removable one ? The original owner of my car was a tall chap and he fitted the 10" wheel that's still on the car because apparently the OEM one was too cramped for him. And a lot of Elise S1 owners went down the removable wheel option because getting out of that car is certainly a learning curve in yoga positions....  ;)

Brian

ps - you'll love Goodwood, it's the biggest petrolhead thing over here. The only downside is our Great British Summer weather - bring an umbrella !