Author Topic: Yahoo Groups is closing  (Read 675 times)

Offline BobW

Yahoo Groups is closing
« on: Monday,October 12, 2020, 03:40:58 PM »
Today a received an email from Yahoo announcing the closure of Yahoo Groups. I didn't want to let the occasion pass without comment. Like many here, I would guess, my involvement with the larger Europa community began (how many?) years ago on Yahoo's Lotus Europa board, from which I received dozens of useful technical tips. I still have some of them, printed out and inserted into my workshop manual. Yahoo's boards did not keep up with the times and i suspect their passing won't generate many tears today, but I can afford easily one or two  :(.

Offline BDA

Re: Yahoo Groups is closing
« Reply #1 on: Monday,October 12, 2020, 04:47:44 PM »
Yeah, I joined the yahoo group probably before 1999. The yahoo group was the original online Europa meeting place so it's sad to see the the final and official end of that chapter. Thankfully, the yahoo group lives on in groups.io. While I still monitor and occasionally post on the new groups.io lotuseuropa group, I find this forum much more to my liking. Great people who post great posts about interesting projects and problems and lots of pictures!

Speaking of online gathering spots, it's too bad that Lotus Europa Central (http://lotus-europa.com) is not as actively updated as it used to be. There is a lot of great information there that is still very useful. The searchable workshop and parts manuals are great and there is a lot of other great information information there that I use often. I remember several years ago when I had a wiring problem I was looking at the color wiring diagrams there (now available here on the home page) and my buddy who came to help me was amazed that that sort of information was available for such a rare car on the 'net.

Between the lotuseuropa groups.io group, Lotus Europa Central, and this forum, we really have a wealth of information and support that is way beyond cars of similar production. We're very blessed!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Monday,October 12, 2020, 05:38:25 PM »

Offline GavinT

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,October 13, 2020, 12:15:51 AM »
Well, Yahoo has served the community pretty well, all things considered; perhaps not perfectly, but still.

The first mob I joined was the "OneList" (?) Lotus mailing list where messages on all Lotus cars were permitted. That must have been in the mid 90's or a little later.

It was good but there was way too much chatting about irrelevant stuff and the signal to noise ratio suffered IMHO. Someone then suggested splitting out the Europa members as a seperate group which happened at Yahoo in the early 2000's or so . . somewhere around that time, anyway.

So, thanks to our gracious host and others like him.  :beerchug:
Cheers.

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,October 13, 2020, 06:16:04 AM »
does anyone remember "United Owners Lotus"?  from mid 1970's?

http://taylormadeclassiccars.com/images/IMG_1608.JPG

I came across some literature and decal from that publication i thought were interesting.   One of the early information distribution methods pre-internet.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook