Author Topic: Wiper Switch Removal - Trick?  (Read 673 times)

Offline Dan C 2624R

Wiper Switch Removal - Trick?
« on: Friday,October 04, 2019, 01:40:46 PM »
Okay, so I am finally disassembling my TC, 2624R, and ran into a small issue.  Taking apart the dashboard piece by disintegrating piece to remove the switches and Instruments, the Wiper switch came out intact.  I know I need to remove the knob and I have seen other mentions of the knob being held by the spring loaded pin.  My problem, I can't get it to move.  I put Kroil in the pin but it still doesn't want to move when pushed.  I used a drift pin to get good surface area and an awl, no joy either way.

So, any tricks or procedures that have worked for the group?  I am stymied but have boatloads of work to do before the re-installation but I'd like to get it clear now.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Offline dakazman

Re: Wiper Switch Removal - Trick?
« Reply #1 on: Friday,October 04, 2019, 02:05:19 PM »
Try pushing inward first then push the release.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #2 on: Friday,October 04, 2019, 07:10:45 PM »
In my car it’s a switch and the spray pump. Pushing it in and pulling it out pumps the windshield fluid from the bag in the front boot. The knob has a small metal piece that needs to be pushed in to remove the knob.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Friday,October 04, 2019, 07:41:58 PM »
I have an entirely different setup so I'm thinking that your washer switch situation is mechanically similar to my headlight switch. If so, there is probably a hex shaft (or other 'keyed' shaft such as half round) that goes into the knob. On one side of the shaft, there is a spring loaded 'nib' that seats itself into a hole in the knob. The idea is to use a drift or pin in the hole in the knob to push the 'nib' clear of the hole in the knob. Then the knob should pull off. If it is stuck, Kroil would be good but there should be a very little slop in the knob to shaft fit and once that is free it should come off with minimal drama. I think Certified and I are saying the same thing. I'm just using a lot more words!  :)

You want to be very careful not to break the knob. I think I've found one place (there could easily be others) that sell the knob (check out part no. 083-797 on page 76 here: https://www.angloparts.com/pdf_catalogues/Tools_accessories_catalogue.pdf). SJ Sports Cars and Lotus Supplies Ltd. in England may also have the knob.

Offline Dan C 2624R

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,October 05, 2019, 04:58:44 AM »
Switch is original as I am second owner of the car.  Switch is push for pump and twist for wiper speed.
Shaft is octagonal and knob has small hole for pin.
I assumed the pin would be the locking mechanism for the knob.  Push in and pull off the knob, shaft stays part of switch.
Problem is no movement on the pin at all.

Oh, and while taking pictures, I pointed from front boot up into fender to take shot of horn placement.  When I viewed the picture later, saw a small circular object.  First thought was original damage and a repair of the front fender.  Second look saw this disk stuffed and wedged into the wheel well and the fender top, above the horn.  Must have been to more efficiently direct the sound waves to the front.

Pictures of the Switch are helpful but too large so I need to resize.

Offline Dan C 2624R

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,October 05, 2019, 05:06:30 AM »
Photos resized.
« Last Edit: Saturday,October 05, 2019, 05:56:54 AM by Dan C 2624R »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,October 05, 2019, 06:02:10 AM »
Old plastic switch and knob can be very tough to separate.  Try alternating heat (boiling water) and cold (upside down "dust-off" can).

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,October 05, 2019, 06:18:26 AM »
Loose the original horn and get a real one that is LOUD - the louder the better! If you can't be seen, you must be heard!

Offline Dan C 2624R

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,October 05, 2019, 10:06:21 AM »
So I traded a couple emails with Dave,  dakazman, and tried a couple things.
Turns out Dave had a good idea.  Push in a tad and then use push in on the pin. 
Did that and on the third try levered the knob loose.

Interesting pin locking mechanism.  No Spring just a looped plastic "pin" to push against.
Also noticed the original sandpaper washer on the backside of the dash. 
Did others have this same setup?

Thanks Dave and all that gave some advise.

Offline Dan C 2624R

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,October 05, 2019, 10:12:02 AM »
BDA,  I will be changing out the horn, no doubt about that. 
I'm looking at an airhorn setup similar to what I have on my Goldwing, about 105 dBA.
I have seen some nice electric units. 
Any recommendations?

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,October 05, 2019, 10:44:14 AM »
I have a set of (Bosch, I think) air horns that I bought before I built my car. Almost twenty years later, I got my car on the road and was a little disappointed that there was a very slight lag between pushing my horn button and the horn sounding (for the most part when you just want a short toot). I kept that for several years and finally got a horn from r.d. It's a nice horn but it has the same lag (Sigh). I don't want to play up the lag because I think all air horns all take a little time to spool up. When you lay into it, it's there. The r.d. horn is very compact and loud (they claim 115dB)! Check it out on their Europa parts page. It's $59.

Online GavinT

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,October 05, 2019, 11:11:36 AM »
Air horns and lag - yep, I think they all do it, although the set I had on an Excel were pretty good.
Wanted a set for my daily driver and after some conversations with the local auto store and grumbling about the lag, he guaranteed no lag on these Stebel - Nautilus.

I didn't test the claimed 139dB, but they're loud alright and have no lag.
I'd seen them before but always thought they were going to be compromised due to the compactness.

Stebel 11690019 - Nautilus Compact Mini Air Horn Black

https://www.amazon.com/Stebel-11690019-Nautilus-Compact-Black/dp/B00CMX20H4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?creativeASIN=B00CMX20H4&imprToken=Pc9RrEsuO0O-CThnoLJ30A&slotNum=0&ie=UTF8&qid=1516033955&sr=8-1&keywords=Stebel+Nautilus+Car+Horn&linkCode=w61&tag=dan0389-20&linkId=5ee0de7981608d35a409a3dc23c37d62

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,October 05, 2019, 04:32:13 PM »
Get a used air compressor from a Citroën DS.  They are about twice the size of the compressors that ship with the Bosch/Fiamm sets.  Instantaneous and LOUD.