Author Topic: Wiring gages  (Read 623 times)

Offline califkid_66

Wiring gages
« on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 07:39:41 AM »
I am shopping for wiring to replace the damaged wires
can someone tell me the wire gage of the purple wire going to the radiator fan
And the green and brown and white on the fuse box thanks
I want to get the right colours and gages

Offline jbcollier

Re: Wiring gages
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 08:46:41 AM »
Most of the wires are either 14G or 16G equivalents.  That's not the way the British measure wire thickness but that is what it works out to over here.  Are you ordering locally?  Or, from a British specialty supplier?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 08:49:59 AM »
The British equivalents are:

14G = 28 strand

16G = 14 strand

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 08:56:47 AM »
Im shopping today for electrical system found some stuff but trying to buy local before online
I want to change my purple wire i didn’t find any yet last place addisson then online
I found this batt cut off witch is pretty nice you can cut the power and the key is removable

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 09:55:25 AM »
Im not exactly sure what size wire i have but to me the fuse box doesn’t make any sense you have
Multiple circuits drawing different amps on same fuse and the fuse recomended is way to high
It says if fuse is blown replace with 35 amps so if you have a short on let’s say brake lights the wire is gonna melt way before the fuse
I found this as a reference to what size fuse for wire gage i think it would make more sense to use
A fuse box that would allow for each circuits to be fused individually with the correct amount of protection

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 10:38:10 AM »
Fuse specs are different between the US and UK. The US says a 10 amp fuse will take 10 amps forever. The UK says a 10 amp fuse will blow immediately at 10 amps. The difference mans that a UK 10 amp fuse is equivalent to a US 5 amp fuse. I've attached a document that explains this better than I can.

I think if you add any circuits, I would fuse them independently. As far replacing wires, there are very few places on a Europa that need to be bigger than 14 gauge so I would use that size wire for those places.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 10:40:00 AM by BDA »

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 11:04:13 AM »
Im sort of worried to put the same size wire to feed the radiator fan ok it wasn’t connected to the right side of the fuse box but still that wire worries me cause it always live

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 11:34:57 AM »
It's not always live unless you rewired it. The otter switch disconnects the ground when the water gets cool enough so the green wire to the fan only carries current when the fan is on. But it doesn't matter. The fact that a wire may be hot all the time has no bearing on how big it should be. The amount of current (amps) that is drawn on that circuit is what determines the size of the wire. A radiator fan doesn't draw more than 10 amps. a 14 gauge wire is plenty big enough.

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 12:06:30 PM »
My thought is to put an inline fuse (15amp?). Best done closest to the battery.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 12:36:39 PM »
i was talking about the purple wire going from the fuse box to the relay that wire is always live and that’s the one that melted it was connected to the brown wire witch is direct on the battery but looking at some pictures of fuse boxes i noticed some are connected differently i saw one that was connected on the bottom fuse witch goes through the ignition switch mine was direct on batt and the wire melted so im gonna make it go through the fuse block so that if it overheats the fuse is gonna melt not the wires
Thanks for all your help and advice i really appreciate it

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 12:42:16 PM »
Actually today i was looking around stores in my area found kill switch and i did see inline fuses was very tempted i don’t know what im going to do yet but i think it would be better for each circuits to have their fuse adjusted to their needs so that if one circuit as a problem the fuse not wire will melt but for now i think my problem was that purple wire not going through a fuse

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 12:44:11 PM »
Calif, nice battery cut off. Where were you thinking of mounting it?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 12:57:08 PM »
Both of the power supplies to the fan relay are already fused if hooked up to the fuse box correctly.  No need for an extra fuse.  The green wire is fused ignition feed and it powers the relay coil and is controlled on the ground side by the rad fan switch.  The purple wire is fused battery and is connected to the rad fan via the relay.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 01:00:20 PM »
The purple wire is connected to the brown wire through the fuse.  It should not have been connected directly to the brown wire.

If thew fuse box is old, clean all the connections and make sure they are not loose (wiggle to check).  If they are loose it is possible to use punches to tighten them again.  However, new fuse boxes are cheap and give great piece of mind for the money.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 01:43:05 PM »
For the cut off it’s gonna be as close to the battery as possible
And  JB my wires were not connected in the right position so the purple was not fused and if they would have been the fuse would have prevented what happened
So im back reading the wiring diagram but im still gonna put fuses on the electric windows!!