Author Topic: Witch tyres?  (Read 2659 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Re: Witch tyres?
« Reply #30 on: Thursday,June 06, 2019, 11:50:06 AM »
Tom
The close-up shots were taken a few minutes ago. Unfortunately it is raining now so the full size photo shots were taken before I lowered the springs in the front end.

Let me first say that is one damn fine looking car!

I really like the stance of the 205/60 rear 185/60 front. The Proxes also have a lot of good feedback as a track tire. They are about 30% cheaper than the Avons too. Realistically, how often will I be driving to the limit of tire performance? Whenever I can, which is almost never, but it would be nice to do so when the opportunity presents itself.

Other than a 2.5% speedometer error, is there any reason not to go with wider, lower aspect ratio tires?

FYI - This is a handy tool for understanding tire dimensions: https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #31 on: Thursday,June 06, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »
I have stock factory 13" rims on my TCS and have Toyo Proxes R888r 205/60-13 on the back and 185/60-13 R888r in the front. No rubbing.
Have you ever run these tires in the wet? I've been curious about the R888R for a few years now, but have been concerned about getting caught in the rain. I wonder if they would be totally useless (re: dangerous) in the wet. I also wonder what kind of wear one can get from them? Do they wear ridiculously fast when subjected to road use?
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #32 on: Thursday,June 06, 2019, 12:44:47 PM »
Thanks Tom!!

I have been caught in the rain several times and really didn't have a problem.  I even have hit a couple of puddles at highway speed and never hydroplaned or lost contact with the asphalt.  The Toyo website lists the tire as Dry/Wet. The 60 series lowers the height of the car by 1/2 of an inch in the rear and almost a full inch in the front (9/10ths) compared to 175/70/13 front and 185/70/13 rear.  https://tiresize.com/height-calculator/  So with shorter springs, the front end gets it to a very low but streetable height.  If my memory serves me correct about 6 inches.  The car does not lift as much at high speeds. So definitely less drift. 

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #33 on: Saturday,June 08, 2019, 11:08:36 AM »
Cheapest tires I could find. Actually I needed to rebuild the body dolly. Full story and more pictures later on my rebuild thread soon.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #34 on: Saturday,June 08, 2019, 08:55:36 PM »
LOL.  :FUNNY: best response yet! 
Cheapest tires I could find. Actually I needed to rebuild the body dolly. Full story and more pictures later on my rebuild thread soon.
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #35 on: Sunday,June 09, 2019, 08:58:48 AM »
It looks like the steering wheel is in the wrong position.  I think you should check that.

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #36 on: Sunday,June 09, 2019, 09:44:14 AM »
LOL! All I need to do is connect the steering wheel to the pull handle.

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #37 on: Sunday,June 09, 2019, 04:42:00 PM »
Are Yokohama AO48's available? - used to fit these to the HSCC race cars that we built and prepared at Banks with no clearance issues and they are a good quality performance tyre.

I can vouch for the Toyo r888's being a very good performance tyre, have run them on the Caterham for many years now and they work very well on the road with little heat in them and fantastic on the track with lots of heat in them! - you can also get different compounds which is worth bearing in mind if longevity is something that you prefer over performance. They do work ok in the wet and I've never had any issues with standing water as per Literarymadness has said.

Jon