Author Topic: Quarter light window rubbers  (Read 1986 times)

Offline johnmi

Quarter light window rubbers
« on: Thursday,April 04, 2019, 08:31:27 AM »
I know this is covered on a previous post but does anyone have a photo of which way round the rubbers sit in the quarter light, i think i have it but would like to 100 % before cutting, i take it the glass goes in after the frame and rubbers are in. Does anything go under the cross bar that sits on top of the door (mastic)? They came to me dissmantled so i have no referance.

Thanks fo any help

John

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
Re: Quarter light window rubbers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,April 04, 2019, 09:06:05 AM »
Hi John,
A few photos that might help. I'm working on my car today, if you need a photo of anything specific let me know. :beerchug:

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,April 04, 2019, 09:12:10 AM »
A few more

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,April 04, 2019, 10:32:59 AM »
What are you using between the aluminum frame and the fiberglass body?

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,April 04, 2019, 03:28:47 PM »
Hope these pictures help. I’m waiting on the handle and lock gaskets before installing trim
Dakazman

Offline johnmi

« Reply #5 on: Friday,April 05, 2019, 09:30:59 AM »
Thanks for the photos, I think my window rubbers are slightly different to yours, where my window rubber butts up to the main frame it is just a u channel, I will get a photo on here of the cross section, but I got them from Richard so would think they are the right ones. Do you glue the rubber into the U channel? All I was thinking of using to hold the quarter light and main window frame in place is Tiger seal, its all that's holding the front spoiler on my VW transporter + it never sets hard, I was also going to run a bead of it under the external angle that sits on the top of the door. Masking it all the door first of course.

John

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Friday,April 05, 2019, 03:38:13 PM »
 Hi John, I also just purchased the kit from r&d. See pictures. The aft side of the main channel is the
H seal . That tiger seal is strong and messy if it’s the same stuff that was on my mustang spoiler mounts. I cannot say one way or the other bike t n Ed to see if it sticks to rubber and aluminum.

I am probably just going with ultra black permatex just on both sides of the inner v where the seal touches the channel on the lower and top . The aft vertical seal should have a small amount just in the centers of that h channel separating inside from outside.

The window glazing is for the space between the channel and fiberglass. Which I think you said your using the tiger sealant which will probably be great . I am going to test how the glazing cleans up afterwards as to just see a small space /gap .
Dakazman

Offline johnmi

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,April 07, 2019, 12:22:08 AM »
Dakazman,

Thanks for the photos, those seals are exactly the same as mine. What are you going to use to cut the gasket also I haven't got the originals for reference, looking at how the rubbers sit in the channel it isn't a straight forward cut although there is some spare to play with.

John

Offline dakazman

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,April 07, 2019, 12:57:58 PM »
Hi John,
  After looking it over and finding the proper tooling to answer your questions.
They look to be compound mitered cuts . So do not cut all the way thru at the same angle on the forward section . On the frame follow the seam line in the aluminum. The line is a 25degree joint.
By cutting a index card to fit in the frame ,touching the surfaces of both the frame legs then draw a line extending the 25degree frame line  will be your template.

By cutting halfway thru and changing the inner angle slightly will give a better seal.

I had no problem cutting the old seals with a razor blade.
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Sunday,April 07, 2019, 06:51:56 PM by dakazman »

Offline johnmi

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,April 07, 2019, 11:09:15 PM »
Thanks for that info, I test tried some of the gasket seal for gluing the rubber seal into the channel although I only glued it to a piece of spare aluminium, put a big blob of the stuff on and sat the rubber into it, it did hold it quite firmly but the sealant had still not set in the middle after 24 hours.
It has been a bit of a nightmare build not having taken it apart and not having all the original parts but after 4years I am almost there, one more year should see me on the road. Seat belts up next.

John

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #10 on: Monday,April 08, 2019, 03:32:07 AM »
John, keep up the fine work. A lot of fiddley stuff done. Please keep us in the loop.

Offline matmacwac

• If your not Bleeding ... Your not trying.
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,April 24, 2019, 09:59:52 PM »
Does anyone know where to find replacement quarter light glass. I'm restoring an S2 that came with old plexiglass for the quarter lights.
Wil

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,April 25, 2019, 03:10:53 AM »
Ebay has LH tinted quarter glass.  SJS in England has Rh quarter window  :lotus:clear and tinted.  Door glass is becoming very difficult to find.