Author Topic: Servo Info  (Read 1002 times)

Offline 2766R

Servo Info
« on: Tuesday,November 13, 2018, 03:13:58 AM »
In case anyone is interested, I found this as I entered one of those internet rabbit holes!

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/aa4b2dfa/files/uploaded/GIRLING%20REMOTE%20SERVO%20MKIIA%20%26%20MKIIB%20OVEHAUL%20%26%20FAULT%20FINDING..pdf

I don't know about any of you, but I feel a lot more confident fiddling with something if there is some information at hand.  BTW, my servos have already been rebuilt by Apple Hydraulics.  They didn't repaint the Shells and reused the old Clamp Rings.  I'd  like to repaint the Shells and install new 'SERVICE CLAMP RING(S)', item 29 on page 5 of the above link pdf.
I do have a question though: any suggestions on soursing SERVICE CLAMP RING(S) on this side of the pond.

Thanks, Gerry 

Offline BDA

Re: Servo Info
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,November 13, 2018, 06:15:11 AM »
I've only seen the service clamp rings as part of a rebuild kit. I wouldn't think they are available separately but but I certainly could be wrong. Dave Bean is probably your best bet.

I'm very surprised that they reused your old ones as they had to be hacksawed off and new ones come in the rebuild kit. I would also have thought they would repaint your shells for you.

This reminds me of a lady many years ago who was restoring her TC. She was going to rebuild her boosters and didn't want the non original looking clamp because she wanted it to look completely original. I hope she found Apple Hydraulics!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,November 13, 2018, 07:03:10 AM »
Service parts are no longer readily available for the Girling servos.  By service parts, I mean hydraulic cylinders and pistons.  Sometimes you can fit sleeves to worn bores but it is tricky work.  If you are wanting to produce a 100 point car that you will seldom -- or never -- drive, then by all means overhaul your Girling servos.  If you intend to drive the car, set the Girlings aside and either remove the servos or fit Lockheed replacements.

Offline 2766R

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,November 13, 2018, 07:35:51 AM »
I should have explained the issue (eye sore) with the existing (modified; welded on nuts and bolt) Clamp Ring.  This  picture should clarify.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,November 13, 2018, 10:22:13 AM »
Can you post a higher resolution photo?

Offline 2766R

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,November 14, 2018, 04:02:39 AM »
Hope this picture is better.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,November 14, 2018, 06:12:54 AM »
Agreed, that's pretty fug-ugly.  Should be able to fit a more appropriate screw.  If you decide to strip and repaint, be VERY careful with the diaphragm seal.  It's easy to mess up.

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,November 14, 2018, 02:10:57 PM »
HI: I rebuilt a booster for a Sunbeam Tiger I have and found the task not that difficult.I got a kit from Ebay and followed this youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quRJ4_sqMYU

The Girlings of that vintage have the same functionality so just get the right kit and away you go.

The Tiger stopped sufficiently well with out the booster but I thought why not rebuild it and have it the way it was intended. 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,November 14, 2018, 03:10:06 PM »
A friend of mine had a Tiger he did up for racing.  The chosen race track for its debut was in Calgary.  Nice track, gone now, except for a concrete wall lining one corner.  Not a ten-tenths course by any means.  Out he goes and sets a blistering pace on his first lap.  By the third lap, he's making a gap. Charging down the straight towards the concrete wall and the pedal hits the floor at his braking point.  Somehow he lived and saved the car.  Towed it home and fit uprated brakes but was never as fast again.

I worked on a mint, 20K mile Tiger II (the one with a single Chrysler penta-star emblem on the side of there RH front fender).  The brakes were scary awful.  You would hit the pedal and it was not only rock hard and unresponsive, the pedal would actually rise slightly!  Stripped the booster and discovered that one valve had been put in backwards such that line back to the master cylinder received the assist, bizarre.  Seemed to have been that way from the factory.  Brakes were much, much better afterwards.  Still stock Tiger not-great but at least they worked well for a few stops in a row.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,April 30, 2019, 06:42:33 AM »
I have just been quoted £250+ VAT = £300 to recondition Girling servos.

I have been separately quoted £62.50 for new Lockheed servos with a 1.9:1 ratio of servo assistance.

It seems I will have to bin 14 old servos.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,April 30, 2019, 07:53:22 AM »
By all means save the old servos for the next owner if they wish to do a concours restoration.  Smart of you to run the Lockheeds for a car you want to drive.