Author Topic: +54/1392+ Gotta start somewhere...  (Read 1459 times)

Offline karenmcd

+54/1392+ Gotta start somewhere...
« on: Thursday,October 18, 2018, 08:03:24 PM »
welp, here it is... gotta start somewhere... anyone help me out in terms of finding an engine cover and trunk cover? :newhere: :WTF:

Also wondering where I can find a VIN if it's left... couldn't find one in the boot/engine/doorsill

Offline karenmcd

Re: +54/1392+ Gotta start somewhere...
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,October 18, 2018, 08:09:06 PM »
Any info would be helpful - i feel like i fell down a rabbit hole...

https://www.lotuseuropa.org/gallery/mikemullins/100_0327

also found the exact car posted by some mike - also, interesting... not the same guy I bought it from in Terrace, BC - apparently it was in Kamloops, BC before I acquired it. I work for a towing company, so it made it easier to get! :)

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,October 18, 2018, 08:45:48 PM »
 :Welcome: karen!!! It's nice to have a woman on the forum!

It looks like you've got yourself quite a project there!

Other than the places you men, the VIN is also under the windshield in front of the steering wheel. Your car is so modified that you may have to register it as a kit car or a homebuilt or whatever allows you to assign your own VIN.

And that is also why you may have to make your own engine and trunk cover. The standard Europa engine/trunk cover doesn't look like it bares any resemblance to what your car will need. I would say that fiberglass is pretty easy to work with and you may be able to make your own. Looking at it again, there is a possibility that you could adapt a Europa engine cover.

It obviously would be beneficial to be in contact with the person who started that project. Is that a possibility?

Keep us informed with how things are going. There are some very knowledgeable people here who will probably be able to help.

Good luck!

:lotus:

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,October 18, 2018, 09:37:53 PM »
 :Welcome: Karen!

Interesting variation on the original! We have some wild restomods going on in this forum, so you'll feel right at home. If yours was originally a USA export car, and the number in one of your photos is accurate, your VIN should be 1392R. Yes, I know everyone expects the VIN to be 13 digits, but the rules were different back then. Did the body come with a frame/engine? We love pics of everyones resto progress here, so keep 'em coming!

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,October 18, 2018, 09:45:50 PM »
Karen 

Here is a link to someone who has two partial bodies.

denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/1970-series-2-europa-2/6717687544.html

Wesley

Offline karenmcd

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,October 18, 2018, 10:39:26 PM »
I'm going to be putting in the guts of a custom converted EV ( https://web.archive.org/web/20111015005333/http://www.livesmartbc.ca/blog/2011/beckett-electric-truck.html ) that I bought from my friend Doug into this car. I want more range, and the lotus seems to be one of the lightest chassis/body platform I can attain for this unless I built one from scratch. I think I will use a Triumph front end with a BMW rear end to convert the car. Unfortunately our old Honda Prelude seats didn't fit in the car, so going to find an alternative for that too...

Will post updates for sure - thanks for the help on the vin =- what else would go on the vin? or just 1392R when I take it to ICBC (insurance corporation of so-called british columbia)?

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #6 on: Friday,October 19, 2018, 04:44:21 AM »
 :Welcome:  Wow Karen that is one heck of a project! Lots of great advise on this forum and an awful lot of knowledge. Couldn’t be rebuilding my 72 Europa without everyone’s input.

Take lots of pictures and post your prgress. Can’t wait to see an EV Europa!

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #7 on: Friday,October 19, 2018, 05:17:15 AM »
Welcome Karen. That really is a great project. I suppose I had better declare my hand now. I too am in the process of converting a Europa to an EV. I’m abit farther on than yourself. In fact I’m just in from installing the new dash. It’s great that you’re using CANEV parts. They seem like a reputable bunch. Placing the batteries inside the Europa might cause you a few headaches. Not insurmountable problems just trickey. I went down the Tesla model S module route. I’m using four modules (20kWh) that sit in an enclosure on top of the engine bay. Not ideal as the weight is high up but th Ev are in one place and I can remove the pack in about 5 minutes with an overhead hoist. In the future I will probably put two in the nose and two in the engine bay for a better weight distribution.

Fear not purists, the Europa can be returned to stock at any time!

Good luck!

Pete

Offline Clifton

« Reply #8 on: Friday,October 19, 2018, 05:22:51 AM »
I like the back, especially the tail light area. 

I have a type 54 too. My vin was lightly stamped on the frame in the engine compartment.  It was very hard to find and see, so hard that the inspection people couldn't find it but I found it after I pulled the engine. I have since replaced the back half of the frame or I would take a pic. It was either 4 or 6 numbers, I can't remember.

Kirkey makes an aluminum Europa seat frame. This is the  only post I could find on it. http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=2199.msg20627#msg20627

Please post progress pics. People may not comment but everyone loves seeing them.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #9 on: Friday,October 19, 2018, 08:21:33 AM »
Karen,
You're vin won't have the R on the end as previously stated (the R, Q, etc suffixes were only used when the serial numbers changed in 1970).

The steps to get it registered with ICBC are:

Write a letter to ICBC with a request for title search ($7) using the vin 541392, wait patiently for them to figure out if it was registered in BC, or other jurisdictions in Canada.  If they come back with it being a BC car, they should provide a name, at which point you send a registered letter to them.  If it comes back undeliverable, you then use an MV1484 declaration form, write up how you obtained the car, etc, have it notarized then take to your Autoplan dealer and hopefully you'll end up with a title. I'm currently going through this with my car, even though I have a continuous paper trail dating back to 1984. 

If the letter comes back as delivered and the last registered owner is still around, ask them nicely to fill out a transfer form and then head to your Autoplan agent. 

One other thing, ICBC changed the registration rules for classic cars just over a year ago, you can now register your out of province car before it's ready for an out of province inspection.  This allows you to put storage insurance on the car while your rebuilding it, but the car does still require an inspection once it's ready for the road. ( I wish I had done that step, as I'd be legally driving my car by now).

Also, these are available:  https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories.htm?car=4&section=1

Rod
« Last Edit: Friday,October 19, 2018, 08:30:53 AM by RoddyMac »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #10 on: Friday,October 19, 2018, 08:26:30 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Karen. That's a very cool project you are embarking on. The body mods are quite interesting, and the back half styling is quite inspired. Good luck, and ooking forward to seeing more. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline dakazman

« Reply #11 on: Friday,October 19, 2018, 09:37:49 AM »
 :Welcome:

Karen,
  Looks like you have a bit of bodywork to do, are you planning on doing it or sending it out?
Rest easy , you came to the right place to document your build, so post often with pictures of course.

I do have a hybrid Hyundai and would like to see a Blue Lotus Logo on the car . I think it’s law here to identify the high voltage to first responders. Safety first.
Dakazman

« Last Edit: Friday,October 19, 2018, 09:47:11 AM by dakazman »