Author Topic: 123 ignition tune  (Read 1060 times)

Offline jbcollier

123 ignition tune
« on: Thursday,August 09, 2018, 06:43:29 PM »
What can I say, I bought one for my Renault crossflow.  They are not normally available for the crossflow (longer distributor shaft) but these chaps adapt them:

https://www.classicautoelec.com/allumage-électronique-renault/787-allumage-électronique-programmable-renault-16-tx-renault-16-ts-renault-12-gordini-alpine-1600-et-alpine-1800.html

They make up and fit an extension piece for the shaft so it is the correct length.

Like most electronic ignition systems, you wire it up and it works.  Nothing surprising there.  This one is special though in that you can adjust the advance curves yourself.  Not a big deal for a stock engine but a huge plus for a modified engine.  It comes (supposedly) with the R267 advance curve pre-programmed in.  It also comes in two flavours: tune by USB, or tune by bluetooth.  I went for USB and didn’t check if it would work with any of my computers.  It didn’t — can’t blame them for my stupidity.  Next time I’d go for the bluetooth version.

So I plugged it in and… it wasn’t programmed with the R267 curve.  Normally you would curse and ship it back for replacement.  I just sighed, went out and bought a cheap laptop pre-loaded with Win-Doze™ and I was in business.  Well not quite.  You can do anything with a Win-Doze™ computer but, unfortunately, you usually have to as well.  It didn’t like the latest software but would work with two generations back.  Then I just dialled in the R267 curve and I was in business!  Impressive.  I also have another curve from an Alpine 1600S I may try as well.  No hours dialling it on the distributor machine, just plug and play.  Very nice.

So, if you are looking at electronic ignition, give a thought to the 123 set-up.  No need to worry about springs and weights or worn bushings.  Just wire it up, load your preferred advance curve and you’re good.  Go for the bluetooth version as there are both android and iOS apps for it.

Offline surfguitar58

Re: 123 ignition tune
« Reply #1 on: Friday,August 10, 2018, 07:20:47 AM »
That's very cool! Does it sense vacuum, RPM or both?

This video briefly had me considering the possibility of a Lotus Europa NCS (No Cam Special) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZWeNPi2XkE  ...but then I remembered that the reason I like the Lotus is because it is simple enough for a dullard like me to work on myself.   :)

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Friday,August 10, 2018, 08:30:45 AM »
It has an rpm sensor and a vacuum/pressure sensor.  The vacuum/pressure sensor is interesting as you can program it to work only above certain rpm.  It can also be programmed to retard the ignition as well.  Very useful for supercharged applications.  Myself, I'm running just an rpm curve.  I'm looking at adding a ported-vacuum curve for better part-throttle fuel economy.
« Last Edit: Friday,August 10, 2018, 10:14:44 AM by jbcollier »

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,April 21, 2019, 01:59:13 PM »
I would like to order a distributor but the link doesn’t seem to work
You said they make an extension for the crossflow my question is is the extension removable cause being programable i could use it on the crossflow or the wedge
Would you have a picture of the extension
And how long to get it when the order is in
Thanks

Offline shootingsight

• Lotus Europa Community
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,April 21, 2019, 03:04:39 PM »
You have to cut/paste the entire link.  THe hyperlink only has the first half:

https://www.classicautoelec.com/allumage-électronique-renault/787-allumage-électronique-programmable-renault-16-tx-renault-16-ts-renault-12-gordini-alpine-1600-et-alpine-1800.html

If I get it, this is not for my S2 Renault R16 engine?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,April 21, 2019, 04:16:04 PM »
The one in the link is for the crossflow engines which have a longer shaft.  This company makes an adapter so the normal Renault 123 distributor will fit.  They sell it as a complete kit: distributor with the adapter already fitted.  You cannot buy the adapter separately.  It would be simple to make one up though.

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-bdBtFxm/A

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-9k8qLcW/A

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,April 21, 2019, 05:21:53 PM »
I swapped out my Pertronix III for a 123 Ignitions Bluetooth a couple of months ago and love the flexibility.  It is really easy to program and use.  Haven't had any problems.  And it really let me dial in the curve. You can raise or lower the curve on the fly while driving.  Has a programmable  rev limiter.  And you CAN store more than one!  You just have to know how. The manual doesn't tell you how.  I have four curves stored on my app.  It only takes a minute or two to program a curve and seconds to download a stored curve. 

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,April 21, 2019, 05:37:45 PM »
Thanks for the pictures
I have the 123 app on my iPhone and
It’s really simple to program i already wrote down a ignition curve
from someone who as twin sidedraft crossflow
« Last Edit: Sunday,April 21, 2019, 05:42:19 PM by califkid_66 »