Author Topic: Gear linkage - pain of past fix & is this a breather pipe - lose and not connect  (Read 976 times)

Offline Europa73

Hi all,

Would you be good enough to look at the below pics and give me your thoughts.

One is if the gear linkage UJ - looks to me at though the previous owner decided to weld instead of fix.

Any thoughts on how this could be put back to original - or - is a new rear shaft called for?

The other pics are what looks like a breather connector - but - as you can see it is not connected, I dont know where it should be connected to. In addition it is easily moved. any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
also restoring 69 Elan +2 and driving a 1975 TR6

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Gear linkage - pain of past fix & is this a breather pipe - lose and not connect
« Reply #1 on: Monday,December 19, 2016, 11:11:17 AM »
Breather should be connected to the carb air filter by a long rubber tube.

The UJ looks like as manufactured with a brazed joint, not a weld.

Offline jbcollier

Re: Gear linkage - pain of past fix & is this a breather pipe - lose and not connect
« Reply #2 on: Monday,December 19, 2016, 07:50:25 PM »
Not sure which side of the pond you are on but race supply shops have all the bits to replace or repair the linkage.  I use Pegasus myself but there are other well regarded suppliers as well.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,December 20, 2016, 07:18:21 AM by jbcollier »

Offline 3929R

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,December 21, 2016, 02:18:27 PM »
It does look as if the rear shaft/tube has been welded to the U joint when it should be pinned (parts 9 and 10). I believe the tube is a Europa only part and not available form generic sources. I've no idea how/if it could be repaired. I wonder if you need this adjustment point or if adjustments can be made solely at the connection between the front tube and the U joint? Certainly you need to be sure all of the connections and bushings (bottom of the shift lever, center joint, and rear of trans) are tight in order to shift well.

Thinking about this more..... the pinned connection while not permanent, is not really adjustable. I'd think only one side of the U joint needs to be adjustable and that would be the side where you have the jamb nut. I can't see why the weld would need to be put back to original, unless the U joint needs replacing (the U joint seems to be one of the more robust parts of the system and is likely fine).
« Last Edit: Thursday,December 22, 2016, 07:58:29 AM by 3929R »
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA