Author Topic: Wipers  (Read 677 times)

Offline johnmi

Wipers
« on: Tuesday,July 26, 2016, 08:52:33 AM »
Should my 1971 S2 have 2 wipers or 1? when i collected it it was partly dismantled and while there are 2 holes for wipers there was only 1 fitted and no connecting arm for the other. looking at other S2 cars it seem to vary. I have taken the body to be restored and painted and in my ignorance have told them to fill the holes along with a few others as it is a federal. Just on another note while i am here, where does the speedo cable come out? is it along side the hand brake cable or is it out of the front of the chassis.

Thanks for the answers

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Wipers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,July 26, 2016, 09:46:11 AM »
Hi,

From what I've seen the UK S2 & TC/TCS cars had a single wiper. The US (Federal) ones had 2 wipers, which probably didn't look as cool but no doubt worked far better ! 

On the speedo cable path, mine is a TC car and when I changed the chassis I routed it along the rear legs of the chassis & through the central spine. I can't remember if that's where it went or not, but that's the way it goes now !

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,July 26, 2016, 12:56:44 PM »
All federal spec vehicles had two wipers but were also sold on both sides of the pond.  The wipers are cable driven no connecting arms.  A single push/pull cable comes out of the motor and goes to each arm in series.

Offline johnmi

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,July 27, 2016, 08:44:58 AM »
Thanks, i think mine must only have had one then, but strange that there is 2 holes. where does your speedo cable come out at the front of the chassis?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,July 27, 2016, 09:30:07 AM »
Dunno.  Mine was in pieces when I got it and I fitted an electronic speedo.

Good place to search for Europa info:

http://www.lotus-europa.com/ekb.html

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,July 27, 2016, 09:45:06 AM »
Thanks, i think mine must only have had one then, but strange that there is 2 holes. where does your speedo cable come out at the front of the chassis?

Don't know offhand, but the car is over the workshop pit at the moment as I'm replacing steering rack bellows so I'll take a look at the routing tomorrow and post up.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,July 27, 2016, 09:48:57 AM »
IIRC, there are some holes in front of where the heater hoses connect at the frame. I believe it comes out of one of those. I believe there are two slotted holes in that area and thought it might be through one of those, but I'm not sure if the screw connector will fit through them, but what ever it will fit in should be fine.

I think that John has the right idea. I have heard that the speedo gear in the tranny is prone to stripping (mine did) and they are difficult (impossible for some trannies?) come by. Smiths makes an electronic speedo that is a decent match with the rest of the stock gauges. You can also drive it using a GPS antenna, which is what I have. Just something to keep in mind.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Thursday,July 28, 2016, 01:39:26 AM »
Hi again,

Speedo cable route is out of the gearbox, along the rear legs of the Y frame and into the central spine. Then it comes out of the top hole where the choke/temperature cables go and along the top of the tunnel to the speedo head.

Brian 

Offline johnmi

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,July 28, 2016, 03:00:13 AM »
Thanks Brian that has solved another part of the puzzle for me, i am trying to get all the bits and bobs sorted so when i get the bodyshell back i can go full steam ahead. Been at it for 18 months now, got all the chassis more or less sorted just the engine and gearbox to go in. Thanks again.