Author Topic: Wiring loom route through bulkhead  (Read 3100 times)

Offline lotuseater

Wiring loom route through bulkhead
« on: Monday,April 11, 2016, 03:18:12 PM »
Can anyone help ? I've just started rebuilding my S2 RHD Europa after respraying it ( and 2 years restoring the chassis and bodywork), but I can't work out where the wiring loom  goes from the dash/footwell/cockpit area in order to get to the radiator fan etc in the front of the car. I bought the car in pieces, so didn't remove the old one. There was so much damage/ repair required in footwells and a new front end being grafted on, that if there were any holes to thread through, they are currently non-existent although there is a hole in the side just under the bulkhead, near the door (probably just behind the eyeball air vent when the dash is fitted) that goes into the wheelarch near the top door hinge bobbin.

Does it run into the top of one of the wheel arches, exposed to wet and dirt ?

Or does it go in to the top of the chassis near the handbrake lever (long thin slot in chassis behind the heater ) and pop out of the end of the chassis ? If this is the case, I'm concerned about rubbing on the edge of chassis.

Also, where do the pipes for the windscreen washer go ? are they fixed inside the front luggage compartment with P clips or again, do they go via the wheelarch?

All advice gratefully received.
Richard

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Wiring loom route through bulkhead
« Reply #1 on: Monday,April 11, 2016, 03:21:08 PM »
Near the pivot for the hand brake lever called the "reaction" lever.

It goes along the top of the tunnel by the heater, then into the slot around the hand brake lever and into the front compartment by the heater blower.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,April 12, 2016, 09:22:20 AM »
Mine goes into drivers side wheel arch and is screwed to the inner wing.  It then goes through a hole in the inner wing next to the brake master cylinder. I checked with Richard at Banks at that us the correct route.

Offline Alan K

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,April 12, 2016, 10:29:22 AM »
My S2 (54/1984) is the same as Gmg31's, with the windscreen washer pipe wrapped around it.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,April 12, 2016, 10:35:57 AM by Alan K »

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,April 12, 2016, 10:57:20 AM »
It goes into the wheel arch through the door post

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,April 12, 2016, 10:57:59 AM »
Through the wheel arch

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,April 12, 2016, 10:58:40 AM »
Back in through the inner wing

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,April 12, 2016, 10:59:21 AM »
And pops out next to the reservoir

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,April 12, 2016, 10:45:39 PM »
Mine ('72 TC) is similar to 4192R, into the cabin at the rear bulkhead, wander along the central spine and then out into the front bay via a hole in underneath the front plenum/luggage chamber. (yes, I know the wiring is a bird's nest mess, I will sort it...  eventually  :)   )

Brian

Offline buzzer

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,April 13, 2016, 01:40:33 AM »
 Hmm, I have got to put my loom in. I am now wondering if I should have done it before I fitted the body!! Brian I presume on TCs & TCSs' its' different to S2s'
can I  get the loom under the front luggage compartment with the body fitted..? is it a  :headbanger: :headbanger: moment again...!

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,April 13, 2016, 01:52:51 AM »
Hmm, I have got to put my loom in. I am now wondering if I should have done it before I fitted the body!! Brian I presume on TCs & TCSs' its' different to S2s'
can I  get the loom under the front luggage compartment with the body fitted..? is it a  :headbanger: :headbanger: moment again...!

Dave

I would think so Dave. If you look at the bird's nest of wiring, just to the right there's a panel with solenoids and a second fuse box. I ran new wires through for a power supply to the fuse box which provides the main power to the headlight & fan solenoids.  I have a very high tech method which involves a Mk1 coat hanger straightened out and poked through from the front bay and found inside the cabin, then tape and pull wires through as you need !

It should be possible, after all if you need to replace the washer tubing you can't be pulling the body off, can you ? I don't think even Lotus wouldn't think that's a good idea.... although then again, it is Lotus  :)

Brian

Offline buzzer

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,April 13, 2016, 01:58:16 AM »
Brain,
Cheers, I'll have a look this evening if I get chance. and I'll fit the washer tubing too!!

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline lotuseater

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,April 13, 2016, 11:14:30 PM »
Thanks all for feedback, especially Gmg31 for the photos, for which my 1969 S2 appears to want to follow the same route.  It looks to me like the Twin Cams had a different shape to the front section of the plenum floor, creating a channel/tunnel for the loom to go straight through. The S2 won't do this.

Next query is routing the throttle, heater, choke cables... possibly another posting coming up!

thanks
Richard

Offline buzzer

« Reply #13 on: Thursday,April 14, 2016, 01:30:52 AM »
Yes it looks like I have a route there on the TCS, haven't pocked anything through, will try tonight.

Richard, note your other question on cable routes. I have the same questions on my TCS, I've reported so much of the bodywork, I need to look at the pre repair picks etc to work some things out. I did get carried away at times on repairing holes etc!!

Dave
Dave,