Author Topic: 4477R Spyder Chassis  (Read 3802 times)

Offline kallericcar

4477R Spyder Chassis
« on: Monday,August 17, 2015, 04:30:48 AM »
I got the used Spyder chassis and suspension yesterday from a fellow Yahoo lister.  It's an S2 chassis, and I'm putting in a Zetec with the 365 5 speed, so I will have to do a few minor mods, including the rear hoop and aft trans mount- which is a little complicated by the lower wishbone mounts, but should work.

Offline BDA

Re: 4477R Spyder Chassis
« Reply #1 on: Monday,August 17, 2015, 06:14:31 AM »
Nice find, but don't you have a TC body? I don't know how much work is required to adapt an S2 frame for use on a TC body. Maybe not much. Are you planning to use the Spyder rear A-arm suspension?

Good luck and keep those pictures coming!

Offline kallericcar

« Reply #2 on: Monday,August 17, 2015, 06:22:04 AM »
Considering all the other mods and work I'm doing, I would consider the TC body/S2 chassis minimal.  There's definitely differences at the front T where the TC mounting was flat and the S2 is angled- So I will just cut the clearance in the area and reglass for the Chassis.  There are some length differences in the back, but not a big deal.

Yes, I am going to use the full Spyder rear wishbone suspension.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Monday,August 17, 2015, 07:40:16 AM »
As long as you know what you're doing! Please keep us up to date!  :welder:

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,August 18, 2015, 12:29:13 PM »
KALLERICCAR GREAT WORKSHOP INTERESTING LOOKING PROJECT AS WELL   GOOD LUCK   KEEP US POSTED PLEASE. 8)

Offline kallericcar

« Reply #5 on: Monday,August 24, 2015, 06:24:39 AM »
I moved things around in the shop, got the old chassis out that was hanging from the ceiling.  I positioned the body over the Spyder chassis and lowered it onto it.  I have a I beam on the ceiling with trolleys and chain hoists, so this makes it really easy to maneuver the body around.  I have the Zetec in the chassis about where it should go.  It does look like everything will work ok with the S2 Spyder chassis, TC body, and Zetec/365.  The only body/chassis issues so far are the front T mounting points, and the angle that goes against the firewall.  I just need to cut out around the T ends and re-glass a little, and cut off the angle.

I spoke to Spyder, and they do make a rear cross member that mounts the back of the 365 trans, as well as the Zetec engine mounts.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Monday,August 24, 2015, 08:52:19 AM »
Looking at those pictures makes me wonder if Spyder make a "one size fits all" basic chassis structure and then just put on the mounting points and rear gearbox mount suitable for TC or S2 depending on the order request ? 

I'm sure I've seen somewhere how the arms of the Y section were wider for the TC than on the original S2,  they looked as if they'd been splayed out closer to a T shape which gives more engine/chassis clearance room at the front of the engine.  I'm not doing so well at explaining that but the logic of "one size fits all" does sound like something Spyder would do ?

Brian

Offline kallericcar

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,August 25, 2015, 06:08:13 AM »
Brian,

The stock TC definitely has a wider Y in the back, and the easiest way to visualize is that the straight sections in the back are longer- which widens the Y.  This Chassis definitely looks like an S2, but the Spyder is only an inch wide vs. the stock chassis with the wide flanges top and bottom.  So effectively, even with the S2 Spyder, you still gain space- plenty for the Zetec.

The total length of the S2 is shorter at the back hoop, but the Spyder uses a separate mounting frame for the 5 speeds, and they go over the existing rear hoop.  the S2 body mount hole do line up with the TC body mount bobbins.

With the body on chassis and engine/trans in position, it's finally looking like it will all work out pretty nicely!

Karl

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,August 25, 2015, 09:17:22 AM »
This Chassis definitely looks like an S2, but the Spyder is only an inch wide vs. the stock chassis with the wide flanges top and bottom.  So effectively, even with the S2 Spyder, you still gain space- plenty for the Zetec.

Gotcha, that makes perfect sense.   :)

In fact now you point it out, having a Spyder chassis must make engine swaps a whole lot easier than having a standard chassis, even the TC one.

Brian

Offline kallericcar

« Reply #9 on: Monday,August 31, 2015, 06:35:09 AM »
I had some time yesterday to work on the Spyder chassis fitment.  I cut off the angles that bolt to the firewall since the angle is different on the TCS, and I marked the body and started cutting the clearance for the T ends.  It looks like it should work.  The overhead trolley beam and chain hoists are making raising/lowering real easy!

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Monday,August 31, 2015, 10:08:02 AM »
That trolley setup  is really sweet! I hope body/frame fit works out for you! Keep us informed!