Author Topic: S2 Gearbox removal advice  (Read 172 times)

Offline andyj007

S2 Gearbox removal advice
« on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 12:11:05 AM »
Hi all,  i need to remove my gearbox in my S2 , something broke last year ,  clutch went stiff then snapped , its not the cable , the arm has rotated from its normal position .. .. 
I do have a ramp, unofrtunatey it has a elan sprint without any rear end up on it so its going to have to be undertaken from the parked position on floor..
The clutch was replaced (not be me) not so long back, so everything should be free and easy to unmount..
is it a case of just following the workshop guide?  or are there any other tips i should know.. .
ive got two half days and evenings to get it out , im hoping this is sufficient, if not will have to leave for a week or so in bits .. 

Offline dakazman

Re: S2 Gearbox removal advice
« Reply #1 on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 03:55:04 AM »
   You will need jackstands due to the fact the rear wheels need to move outwards so the drive axles can come out . But first remove the drift pins from the axles. It is easier to remove with the cross brace removed but you can remove it from the bottom but you need to remove all bell housing bolts, starter, rear gearbox mount, wiring, speedometer cable. Don’t forget the front splash guard either. Place Two awls or alignment bars to help from dropping and guides the removal.
  After that the gearbox and bellhousing can be pryed rearward , lifting the rear of the gearbox slightly over the body panel , a nice wooden ramp for protection while sliding it rearward is helpful.
After the gearbox front shaft clears the pressure plate the gearbox will drop down.
  Not quite sure why your release arm rotated around as you stated. A vw clutch cable can be adapted to fit but needs the end swedged.
  Post some pics
Dakazman
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Friday,March 29, 2024, 04:05:48 AM by dakazman »

Offline fort

« Reply #2 on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 04:18:17 AM »
Release arm can rotate when spline is worn. Easiest fix is to weld it to the shaft making sure of the optimal position.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #3 on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 07:02:24 AM »
Dakazman, where exactly do you place those two awls? I couldn’t quite picture it.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 10:03:58 AM »
When I did the clutch on my TC I dropped the gearbox rather than lift out the engien/gearbox as one unit.

I had tall axle stands under the legs of the Y to support everything which leaves the suspension loose and makes a very solid base to work with. 

If you remove the luggage tray and either remove or prop the rear deck vertically, you can stand inside the engine bay for great access. I also had an engine hoist which I used to support the weight of the gearbox or you could use a trolley jack, aside from that it's just the usual "undo everything you can see until it gives up"  ;)

Brian

Offline dakazman

« Reply #5 on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 10:50:29 AM »
Dakazman, where exactly do you place those two awls? I couldn’t quite picture it.
  In the bolt holes of the starter and one near water pump outlet. It also helps when getting it lined up into pilot bearing .

Dakazman
« Last Edit: Friday,March 29, 2024, 10:52:05 AM by dakazman »