Author Topic: SUN O'Scope on San Jose CL. NMNA, $300  (Read 451 times)

Offline Richard48Y

SUN O'Scope on San Jose CL. NMNA, $300
« on: Wednesday,October 20, 2021, 10:45:41 PM »
We had some discussion of Oscilloscopes here not too long ago.

This one came up on FB, https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1102686973471614/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A90ff71fe-9c54-4709-ae76-00ca2fdf7c9a

I have no details beyond what the ad states but this is a serious unit if it works or can be made to work economically.
I am committed to my ALLEN S.E.A. units or I would be interested in this one myself.

Offline jbcollier

Re: SUN O'Scope on San Jose CL. NMNA, $300
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,October 21, 2021, 06:31:12 AM »
Oscilloscopes were great in the shop setting as they give quick diagnoses of a wide variety of cars.  Obsolete now with modern engine controls and not really needed for the hobbyist who isn't trying to maximize income.  You can do almost all the same tests with a DVOM, just takes time.  I have one, a Fluke, but I don't think I have pulled in out in over ten years. Mind, it would be very useful if you had a Jag V12!

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,October 21, 2021, 07:23:47 AM »
The other thing is if you have a laptop, for a few hundred dollars you can get gizmos and software to turn it into an oscilloscope and it doesn’t take up half of your garage.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,October 21, 2021, 03:39:29 PM »
Last I looked the good quality "Gizmo's" were over a thousand dollars.
Our cars may have been ahead of their time but thankfully are not modern enough to be afflicted with OBD.
I just used my scope the other day to check out an MGB, ignition is now perfect but the Carb still needs some work.
No real matter to me, just posted for anyone who might be interested.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,October 21, 2021, 07:49:50 PM »
I don't know a lot about o-scopes other than seeing one in action many years ago and watching a few videos. The prices of the scope gizmos (I guess they are signal generators?) vary quite a bit. The one that is supposed to be the best is the Pico scope. I just saw one for less than $400 - but then there are always a lot of accessories that you need to do anything worthwhile.

Another one I've seen that seems like a good, inexpensive option is the Hantek 100BC. It goes for as little as $120 on ebay, but you'll still need to buy some accessories.

I really don't know enough to know if either of those are worth the money and if after getting all the accessories you're likely to want/need, that you won't end up spending $1000. I'm interested in anybody's thoughts. If they are any good, I think they make a lot of sense if you don't have the garage space for a big machine.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #5 on: Friday,October 22, 2021, 09:30:56 AM »
Like a lot 'Tech it depends, will you use it often enough to become proficient with it?
Is a large inexpensive machine a better deal for you than a small but more expensive machine?
I bought a S.E.A. and Gas Analyzer which turned out to need work/parts. Then I bought two more.
One of them had belonged to Sacramento County as the machine used on their own vehicles so was in pretty good shape.
I am trying to use it more often to gain proficiency.
One advantage that some commercial machines may have over lap-top based is that they have programs to help guide you to troubleshoot issues.
I would not expect much from any extremely cheap machine.