Author Topic: 73 TC on Craigslist San Diego area  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

73 TC on Craigslist San Diego area
« on: Friday,April 05, 2019, 06:52:50 AM »
Looks to be a pretty nice unmolested example on Craigslist, not too far from me. If anyone is interested in the car I can go down and take a closer look for you.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/san-diego-1973-lotus-europa-twincam/6858312160.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is an original Twincam Lotus Europa with only 36000 miles. The car was in storage for 20 years and now waits for a deserving home. Engine runs smoothly but car cannot be driven because brakes and clutch were not redone yet. Fuel lines appear OK because the engine is running from the two original tanks. Interior is all original, original carpets, the radio works, and even the rare ashtray is there. To bring it to its original glory it needs a repaint, and other light restoration. Car originally is yellow but it was resprayed in white by its first owner who also stated that the car ran well when parked many years ago. If you looking for an easy restoration and for an original unmolested twincam Europa - this is your chance. Not too many are out there. Best if you come in person to check it out. You can call me at 619 five nine four 2399 or email me at lamboguy at hotmail dot com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: Friday,April 05, 2019, 06:56:37 AM by Grumblebuns »

Offline literarymadness

Re: 73 TC on Craigslist San Diego area
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,April 06, 2019, 10:37:35 AM »
This looks like the same car that was on "A Better Bid Car Auction" a few months ago that had the weird cutout in the rear tub.  That car also was originally yellow. There was also a similar car on eBay in February also with that cutout.  I am guessing that it went from "Better Bid" for $4,000 to eBAy for $7,500 to Craigslist for $16,500.  Maybe it will at Bonhams next month for $32,500 LOL

Wesley

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,April 06, 2019, 10:55:32 AM »
If you look carefully, the trunk tray has been modified with a step in the bottom. I think literarymadness is right. I seem to remember another Europa with that modification. I don't remember what the reason for that was or what else was done to the car but I don't thing the trunk tray was the only modification.

It's funny to see cars bounce from auction site to auction site with different prices!

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,April 13, 2019, 06:50:15 AM »
I got an opportunity to drive down to San Diego yesterday and take a closer look at the Craigslist Europa. Talking with the owner, he had just bought the car about a month ago with the intention of restoring it. The car was previously located in Ohio. Apparently his plans changed when he came upon an E type Jaguar for sale. He bought the Jaguar and now he wants to get rid of the Europa. I didn't ask him directly what he paid for the Europa but I get the feeling that the asking price is his total investment including transport.

The pictures really don't show just how grimey the car is in viewing it in person; some would call it borderline rough. The car was sitting for 20 years with the previous owner, originally yellow before it was almost immediately painted white. The white paint is peeling off in numerous spots. The interior looks relatively good. The dash, seats and top pad look real good. The carpets are a bit worn as would be expected from being original. From the pictures, the engine bay looks pretty untouched from original. It has all of the original emissions bits still attached, missing a few hoses from the Strombergs. The transaxle is the 352 with very loose and sloppy shifting. The entire engine bay is dirty and caked with oil and grease. As was previously noted, the luggage box has been modified, looks to be very nicely done.

Overall the car appears to be a good candidate for restoration but I sure as hell wouldn't pay his asking price for it. I did tell him that he was overpricing his car but he was pretty adamant that he wouldn't go down too much on price. I took a few pictures before the batteries in my camera gave out.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,April 13, 2019, 07:59:20 AM »
He's still asking $16,500 for it!? That seems really rich for what you described. I'm thinking more like $10,000 - $12,000.

I guess for me, the question is how much would it cost to get it in a similar state as the Europa on bringatrailer.com that brought almost $36,000 (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-lotus-europa-special-3/). That car may be the high water mark for Europas for some time, it has a weber head, and it has a five speed but if spending $15,000 on this car gets it in really nice shape, it might be worth it.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,April 13, 2019, 08:03:06 AM »
I told him that it was way overpriced for what it was but if he paid overpaid for it when he bought it, he is stuck. With an E type on its way, the Europa will be sitting in his driveway for a long time I suspect.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,April 13, 2019, 06:29:12 PM »
This is the same car bought on eBay from Ohio for $7,500.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Lotus-Other-Special/123597966220?hash=item1cc7034b8c:g:4tMAAOSw~JFcP3nb&vxp=mtr

Click on the photo and then scroll down.
« Last Edit: Saturday,April 13, 2019, 06:33:09 PM by literarymadness »

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,April 13, 2019, 06:48:55 PM »
Wait... I'm confused... the car Grumblebuns posted about a yellow car that was painted white but you pointed us to a maroon car... how are they the same?

Edit: I think this is the eBay listing you meant to point to: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Lotus-Europa/223480380238?hash=item340877fb4e:g:JxoAAOSwmQBcsPrS
« Last Edit: Saturday,April 13, 2019, 07:15:16 PM by BDA »

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,April 14, 2019, 05:49:54 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Lotus-Other-Special/123597966220?hash=item1cc7034b8c:g:4tMAAOSw~JFcP3nb&vxp=mtr

If you go to the original listing on the ebay link that literarymadness referred to , this is the same car now listed again on ebay with BDA's link. I'm laughing my ass off with this. He is trying double the price on a car he bought a couple of months ago. I'll be keeping my eye this listing.

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,April 14, 2019, 06:03:15 AM »
Ok. I missed the listening that had ended. This guy really is a piece of work. I think it makes sense that he would expect the market for a Lotus to be better in CA than Ohio, but he needs to get reasonable.

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #10 on: Sunday,April 14, 2019, 07:16:32 AM »

If you go to the original listing on the ebay link that literarymadness referred to , this is the same car now listed again on ebay with BDA's link. I'm laughing my ass off with this. He is trying double the price on a car he bought a couple of months ago. I'll be keeping my eye this listing.

More power to him.   Actual sales indicate fair market values.    just because someone got a car for a bargain, whether a steal, or a gift, they are free to market it for whatever they can get.
Instead of Europa owners talking cheap and dissing other's pricing, they should be supportive and hopeful so that their own personal car's values will be on the rise.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,April 14, 2019, 07:46:36 AM »
Ted, I don't think any of us were criticizing the owner for what he is doing. I was just astonished at the cheekiness of his attempt to make a buck by doubling his purchase price is all. 

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #12 on: Sunday,April 14, 2019, 10:06:03 AM »
Ted, I don't think any of us were criticizing the owner for what he is doing. I was just astonished at the cheekiness of his attempt to make a buck by doubling his purchase price is all.
my point exactly.   more power to him.  :beerchug:
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Sunday,April 14, 2019, 10:43:45 AM »
Lest anybody think that I am in favor of anybody getting a lower price for their Europa, I hope he gets what he's asking for, too. I'd be happier if he was offered higher than his asking price! I just don't think it's going to happen, but I'm cheering for him.

Offline Arizona

« Reply #14 on: Sunday,April 14, 2019, 10:50:06 AM »
And here's another data point. This one seems high to me but I'm no expert on S2's.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Lotus-Other/254199733379?hash=item3b2f7c1c83:g:BNUAAOSwQ9xcs09~&vxp=mtr
George F. Johnson