Author Topic: my 74 tcs project  (Read 7617 times)

Offline derekfc

my 74 tcs project
« on: Tuesday,June 03, 2014, 09:17:48 AM »
well ive had this car for maybe two weeks but been so busy that i havent had time to do much work.

anyway, i thought id share what i had and what my plans are.

i want to get it running well, restore the interior, clean up the engine bay and finish off the exterior by replacing the missing pieces and detailing it.

Offline BDA

Re: my 74 tcs project
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,June 03, 2014, 09:38:51 AM »
It looks like you have your work cut out for you! What's with the dual exhaust?

Good luck with it and keep us informed of your progress, if you have questions, or need advice!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,June 03, 2014, 09:46:04 AM »
Hi Derek (?) and  :Welcome:

Yep, it looks like you'll need a bit more than just elbow grease to sort that one out, but on the plus side, the bodywork looks presentable and certainly good enough to put it at the back of the queue for attention.

These are very DIY-able cars with very basic engines and running gear, although of course in their day everyone thought they were complex and fragile things.  I'm sure you'll get along fine with the project, but as has already been said, don't be afraid to shout out if there's something puzzling you that you haven't met before.

Brian

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,June 04, 2014, 09:03:26 AM »
 :Welcome:

Looks like a great project! Body doesn't look in bad shape at all. Good luck and if you run into any questions ask and keep us updated!

Offline derekfc

« Reply #4 on: Friday,June 06, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »
i wish i had more time for it..

good thing is that parts are starting to show up.

had time to replace the ignition parts. new points, cap, rotor, plugs and wires. in the process, one of my carb couplers broke but thanks to my other thread, i had already purchased new ones.

also time to take care of the interior. ordered my fabric to redo all the vinyl. ditching the cloth seat inserts to go with vinyl and redoing everything that needs it..

new dash showed up too

and in middle of refurbishing the wheels and some engine bay bits

Offline derekfc

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,June 07, 2014, 09:58:31 PM »
parts starting to come out of the oven

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Sunday,June 08, 2014, 12:01:23 AM »
Now that's looking smart.  Is it a crackle paint finish or just the natural cast finish of the cover showing through ? 

Brian

Offline derekfc

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,June 08, 2014, 01:04:59 AM »
its a crinkle finish tuxedo black powder coat.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,June 08, 2014, 09:02:16 PM »
Looks great!!!!

Offline derekfc

« Reply #9 on: Monday,June 23, 2014, 08:05:41 PM »
finally finished the wheels and shod them with the correct 175 70 and 185 70 tires

and engine bay clean up is coming along well

few more for good measure

fuel leaks galore and im finding split plastic lines.. who in their right mind thought that plastic was an acceptable material for fuel line? :WTF:

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Monday,June 23, 2014, 08:49:21 PM »
It's looking really good! Your wheels and valve cover came out really nicely!

Yep, plastic fuel line components (especially, the 'T' between the carbs) should be the FIRST thing you replace. Second should be the second exhaust pipe!  ;D

Offline derekfc

« Reply #11 on: Monday,June 23, 2014, 11:10:57 PM »
You really hate that exhaust huh. I'll figure it out. Interior is next. It's smeared all over my kitchen like vegimite on aussie sandwiches

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,June 24, 2014, 08:39:20 AM »
Is that extra pipe actually hooked up to anything?

I have a Mercedes C230 and there is a kit for the four cylinder cars to make it look like you have dual exhaust. It's basically a tap from the real exhaust that runs to the other side of the car (and you need a new body panel to accommodate new exhaust tip). I don't like them either!  ;D

If you like it, keep it! I don't want to come across as some arbiter of style or propriety. Hell, I have an air dam with brake ducts that go nowhere so some might say both our cars are guilty of the same "offense".

Are you sewing your interior yourself?! Good luck! Cloth is a great addition. It should look great when it's done!

Offline derekfc

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,June 24, 2014, 07:51:57 PM »
its split right after the exhaust manifold to dual mufflers out to those tips so it is functional.

anyway. back to the build

today we made great progress on the interior but it came with a twist of lime.

we started off with the pad that goes under the thighs, not the butt pad but the bigger one in front of that. stripped the old vinyl and replaced it. i didnt get any photos but anyway

moving on to the seat bottom, we started to unpick the staples and hog rings and noticed that there was material under it.. turns out, someone just glued this nasty faded, cheap and dirty fabric over the factory seat vinyl. decided to unpick the rest of the pieces and found it to be true for the other seat too. so after about an hour of scrubbing, we have fresh good looking and more important, stock seats. totally completely stoked. just saved a week of work with better finish than we could probably do. unfortunately, will still have to do the door panels and the center console and i have to still make another thigh piece for the second seat.

Offline BDA

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,June 24, 2014, 08:17:36 PM »
That's the first time I'd ever heard of an exhaust system like that for a Europa. I suppose I could do the same thing as my headers are two into one into one, but I don't think I have the room for too mufflers. Now I'll stop beating that old horse!  :deadhorse:

It seems like you have your work cut out for you on those seats. Good luck!