Author Topic: The Legend of Fat Foot  (Read 943 times)

Offline surfguitar58

The Legend of Fat Foot
« on: Sunday,August 04, 2019, 10:37:12 AM »
My long suffering wife bought me a nice pair of Piloti driving shoes last Xmas, but I didn't have the heart to tell her I couldn't use them in the Europa with my size 11 gunboat feet... until now!

I spent the morning carving and grinding rubber bits (bunion guards?) off both sides of the shoes and reduced the total width by about 3/16 inch per shoe. The result is my right shoe finally fits between the brake pedal and the tunnel with about 1/16 in to spare! Another minor victory!  :pirate:

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

Re: The Legend of Fat Foot
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,August 04, 2019, 10:46:48 AM »
Nice shoes! Congratulations on the improved fit of your Europa! For us who are not in the shape of Chunky back then, adjustments have to be made.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #2 on: Monday,August 05, 2019, 12:55:39 PM »
Surf, I also have large size 11 feet. Finding the right driving shoes for a Lotus has taken me years of experimentation and more $$$ than I want to admit. My Piloti’s driving shoes are the largest (meaning wide) of my driving shoes. They are the most comfortable for driving and walking, but not for a Lotus.

My two favorite driving shoes that are perfect for a Lotus are:

Collin Mcrae Sport with Thermal Shield System (for driving cars with exhausts next to the footwell). These are very comfortable and have a firm sole with reinforced areas that typically wear. Narrow but not uncomfortably so.

Michael Schumacher driving shoe (also hightop for ankle support). These are very narrow and are comfortable to drive in but not for walking around. I bought these is Italy when Michael was still driving F1.

If you can find these on-line I highly recommend.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Monday,August 05, 2019, 01:58:14 PM »
I don't have large feet (a narrow 10 1/2) so if your feet are larger, I would consider Certified's suggestions.

When I was looking for shoes that would allow me to press only one pedal at a time, I found these (http://www.lemanslewomans.com/shop/Jim-Clark-Suede-Casual-Driving-Shoe-by-Nicolas-Hunziker-CL5004.html - not necessarily the best place to buy them). Now, I have to say I was conflicted. They attract a fair amount of attention. That was not my intention, I assure you. In fact, I actually bought these because they were a little cheaper than other options I found. In finding them for this post, they seem to be more expensive than I remember, but then I may not be remembering that well. They are designed to be a homage to the Jim Clark's Lotus 49 and its maiden victory with the DFV, which is kind of cool, but then some people wonder what my bowling score is.  :D

They are pretty comfortable for most things but they are not for walking long distances.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #4 on: Monday,August 05, 2019, 02:35:50 PM »
Nice BDA. I also have a pair of Lotus color racing shoes. Did not include them in my recommendation as they were custom made by Stand 21 and stupid expensive (I got a pair of matching nomex gloves at the same time). In my old racing days when spending $$$ was just the way it was.

You will note that I don’t wear these very often. They run small so I bought size 11.5 which made them larger than my other two recommended driving shoes.
« Last Edit: Monday,August 05, 2019, 02:37:51 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline GavinT

« Reply #5 on: Monday,August 05, 2019, 02:41:44 PM »
BDA,

I have no idea why those would attract attention. Surely everyone has seen a roundel with a number in it.
To ward off any misplaced chortling, I'd suggest a matching cravat.  :D

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Monday,August 05, 2019, 03:47:52 PM »
Nice boots, Certified! I wish I could do stupid expensive things!  :)

Gavin, that's one of the things about not only my car but my shoes, they get me into conversations so I feel I have to explain that Jim Clark's car was #5, he won the first time out in the 49 and DFV... Maybe I need to come up with a more interesting story. No matter. It would be for naught. I've found women aren't that interested in Europas or my shoes. Of course Mrs. BDA would have something to say about that! ;)

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #7 on: Monday,August 05, 2019, 04:52:55 PM »
No worries BDA, my stupid expensive days are long gone. Was fun while it lasted.

Mrs. Certified always has something to say about my driving shoes.........

“I can’t believe your wearing those out in public”   :FUNNY:
« Last Edit: Monday,August 05, 2019, 04:55:36 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #8 on: Monday,August 05, 2019, 06:52:07 PM »
Admit it...We are a strange lot

To continue with the cobbler fest, ditto as BDA with the Clark tribute booties.
Puma designed Ducati for formal wear...and when all else fails....My 42 year old Westovers.
« Last Edit: Monday,August 05, 2019, 06:56:30 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Monday,August 05, 2019, 07:11:15 PM »
What's your bowling score, Lou?  :FUNNY:

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #10 on: Monday,August 05, 2019, 07:24:24 PM »
I see that some of us don’t throw ANYTHING away. (So says Mrs. Certified). Nice collection Lou!

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #11 on: Monday,August 05, 2019, 07:43:27 PM »
Clearly I have a lot to learn in the world of driving shoes.

BDA's "what's your bowling score" comment had me doubled up laughing!  :FUNNY: Not sure I have enough self esteem to wear those in public.

Cert's McRea's look pretty darn comfy. I'm gonna have to look into a pair of those, but what I really want are Lou's 42 year old Westovers. Come on Lou... Name your price!!!

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,August 06, 2019, 02:54:00 AM »
Sorry Surf...They are scheduled to accompany me in the afterlife.
 I have made provisions in my will...James seems to have modified his for additional cooling!