Author Topic: F1 stuff  (Read 1325 times)

Offline buzzer

F1 stuff
« on: Friday,March 30, 2018, 03:05:46 PM »
Rather than hijack the 49 posts.
Some comments on F1
Sky in the UK and channel 4 do a decent job on commentary. And sky do some good general chat interviews etc and what’s going on stuff. However if there is not enough free to air it will loose the viewers.
On the cars, to me you need to change the impact of aero or at least change the focus. Remove or significantly reduce the wings with some rules on the overall dimensions and we might see some closer racing. Cars might look better too. All those aero bits everywhere and the front wings how many aero bits 😱😱😱
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline BDA

Re: F1 stuff
« Reply #1 on: Friday,March 30, 2018, 05:15:10 PM »
My favorite F1 car was Black Beauty (Lotus 79). The high noses of the recent past, and now bent over noses, just don't do it for me.

Back in the '90s, F1 drivers were complaining that they couldn't get close to make a pass but CART drivers then didn't seem to have a problem so it seems that there is a to at least minimize the problem. Of course, as you say, the reliance on aero devices - especially front wings perpetuates the difficulty in following closely for passing.

I suspect some of my displeasure with the way F1 is headed is probably rooted in wishing we could go back to the "good old days" but that's not an option. As much as I don't like the hybrid power plants, they probably make sense since that seems the way things are headed.

You make some good points but I wonder if there is any going back. However, they could easily bring back grid girls!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Friday,March 30, 2018, 10:28:34 PM »
I'm not a great F1 fan and to be honest I can take or leave it.   BUT.....  one thing that's recently changed my mind was reading Adrian Newey's book on "How to Build a Car".  I started it out of curiosity and ended up hooked.  Lots of detail on how early and modern race cars are designed, the what/why and how the rule changes every year made life in a racing team into a constant challenge to get ahead. And some insights into what goes on behind the facade.

Well worth reading if you're into the wheels outside brigade....

Brian

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Saturday,March 31, 2018, 12:56:04 AM »
Overtaking is a huge problem, as when 2 closely matched cars are together, the one behind suffers bad turbulence problems, which can overheat the engine, and does overheat the tyres.

So overtaking is normally best achieved by strategy, i.e. when to make the pit stop for tyre changes.

The Australian GP was lost by Mercedes, and they did not allow Hamilton enough gap to Vettel for the Vettel tyre change. The gap was big enough under normal racing conditions, but under a virtual safety car, where cars drive much slower and keep exactly the same gap to the car in front, thereby effectively freezing the positions which they clear up a crash, the Hamilton car is travelling much slower while Vettel takes the normal time for his pit stop for tyre change, so Vettel comes out ahead of Hamilton.

Hamilton was comfortably in the lead with Vettel behind Hamilton and Raikkonen before the pit stops and virtual safety car.

If you add a proper safety car into the equation, when the whole field bunches up behind the safety car, so all gaps are reduced to a car length, then any advantage gained up to that point disappears out of the window, and if you pitted before the SC came out, you gain on those who hadn't yet pitted.

So who wins can be just as much down to luck, strategy, and the speed of the car, as the skill of the driver. In my opinion, the skill of the driver is best tested in a damp or wet race, but once again, the high probability of safety cars in a wet race can mess it all up again.

I lament the noise of a normally aspirated engine pulling 18,000 rpm. I lament the loss of the grid girls. I also don't like the beach sandle flip flop thing they have stuck on the edge of the cockpit.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,March 31, 2018, 06:14:56 AM »
There is always going to be a bit of luck involved and that is always good as that mixes things up. I certainly don’t agree with going back, rather look forward. It’s more of a point on where the development in the sport should go. Overtaking should be easier but not too easy. I think there is too much reliance on complex aero design and it had got to the point where it seems to have no relevance to the real world either.
Id love to see the power plant options open up, but fear that would just add enormous cost. Be nice to see and hear different configurations.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #5 on: Saturday,March 31, 2018, 06:25:43 AM »
Buzzer...Us {USA} blokes on this side of the pond have always been regarded as the runt of the litter when it comes to F1 coverage. At least when Bernie ran the show, the final product was racing to a world wide audience. Today...these Liberty clowns only care about $$$$$$$...

For the past few years, we have had decent broadcasts provided by NBC and although they were no Murray Walker and James Hunt, I grew to the likes of Hobbs, Matchett and Buxton.
The goal for Liberty is simple...Pay per view and premium subscribers. NBC knew this and rather to fork over production costs they decided to bail. Here comes ESPN...who get the Sky feed for free!!! and they decide to butcher it with their own adds dropped in during the action.

Conversations and commentary interrupted and rejoined mid sentence...we were left to figure out what happened to the Hass team and safety car with no explanations. The broadcast was painful and hard to enjoy...Not to mention the obvious bias of the Brit crew of Crofty and Brundle who bash Ferrari every chance they get. No Q1...Q2 for free here.

I have been following F1 for + 50 years and have attended races and viewed shows in Europe and will most definitely have a hard time getting up at 2am to watch. 

Offline GavinT

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,March 31, 2018, 11:14:54 AM »
Luckily, here in Oz we don't have to worry about pay per view.
But it's been about the $$$ for many years now . . decades, really.

It's no longer sport . . . it's 'entertainment.
The big money is in the TV rights and it matters little how many people are in the grandstands. I'm sure we've all seen the empty grandstands at venues in the Middle East, for instance, where motor sport is less popular.

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,March 31, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »
Depending on how you view it, there probably aren't any pro sports. They are all entertainment and business.

I second Lou's comments on the quality of the broadcasts are in the US. There was no pre or post race show, little to no analysis with the commentary. I'm hoping Liberty will grow into it. I think they have made some positive contributions, for example giving better access to the drivers for the fans. And they've screwed up a bit with doing away with the grid girls (a small part of a larger Political Correctness disease that is spreading too quickly). I also don't like the new logo but in the scheme of things, that's pretty minor.

Bernie bought the world wide TV rights back in the '70s for $1M and offered it to the teams at $100,000 apiece. They all said "no" because it would have crimped their development/testing budget! Maybe that was an indication that it was actually more of a sport then but if they had done it, things would certainly be very different now.

I'm anxious to find out how the streaming works. Hopefully it will be good, but I'm afraid that it will be homogenized and minimized. I'll try to be optimistic.