Author Topic: Happy Birthday to BDA  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Rosco5000

Re: Happy Birthday to BDA
« Reply #15 on: Friday,March 16, 2018, 11:17:50 AM »
Happy Birthday BDA from one of the youngsters looking to learn from your 29 years of experience you have on me.
Cheers! :beerchug:
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Friday,March 16, 2018, 12:49:38 PM »
Thanks Rosco! As a former youngster, I can relate to your situation! Thinking about it, you must be one of those "nobbut a yungsters" Brian was talking about! I will endeavor to give you the benefit of all the mistakes I've made over the years and that's a lot. In fact it may interest you to know that I'm still making them at a reasonable clip so there should be a steady stream of benefit coming your way!  :)

4129R, the first time I saw one at a Lotus dealer, I told my girlfriend at the time that I was going to buy one when I made my first million (thinking that time would never come). Thankfully, I didn't have to wait that long. I'm the original owner of my car but I haven't put that many miles on it for several reasons. I'm trying to make up for that now! :)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #17 on: Friday,March 16, 2018, 02:38:33 PM »
There was a red S2 parked just around the corner from me in 1970. Every time it drove past, I thought "Wow".

Bearing in mind the boring crap cars they were producing in 1970, the S2 was very different.

Little did I know they I would have a flock of them in my garages later in life.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #18 on: Friday,March 16, 2018, 04:19:13 PM »
I want to keep my memories of hay day memories......

Offline GavinT

« Reply #19 on: Saturday,March 17, 2018, 12:41:40 AM »
Happy Birthday BDA . . laddie.  ;D

It seems that us of a certain age must have lusted after these cars in our youth, and have fond, if not very good, memories of them in their heyday.
Yes, agreed.
I’ll be 69 next month. Back in the day (late 60’s) I used to be driving my Mum’s car and on a balmy Friday night we’d often swing by a car yard called “Sports Car World.”

The business was owned by Blair Shepherd, the local speedway champion driver and well know around the place.
We’d hang over the fence looking at the exotic sports cars of the day. There were usually a lot of MG’s, Triumphs, Alfa’s etc. with the odd Lambo, Ferrari and Lotus. In those days, none of these cars sold very quickly, so they’d often be there for months.

I remember being smitten by light brown Elan . . probably still one of the prettiest cars in the world IMHO.
But when the first Europa came into the yard, I was hooked. The appearance at the time were just so striking . . nothing like it anywhere in the world, though in some ways, perhaps a face only a mother could love.

It took me another ten years till my divorce offered the perfect opportunity for an early mid-life crisis . . buy a sports car.
Bought it from a young lady who was pregnant and could no longer get behind the wheel.
A back wheel was wobbly because, as I later found out, it had a piece of water pipe for a bearing spacer . . and the carb would rattle loose fairly regularly.

But happy days, for sure.

Offline BDA

« Reply #20 on: Saturday,March 17, 2018, 04:09:36 AM »
Thanks, GavinT! Great story! Whatever happened to that Europa?

Offline GavinT

« Reply #21 on: Saturday,March 17, 2018, 07:52:12 AM »
You mean the one in the car yard?

No idea and I can't remember it's colour.
Hey, maybe it's the one I bought because that would have been ten yeas later and there's not many Europas around these parts.