Author Topic: new member  (Read 65492 times)

Offline jjbunn

Re: new member
« Reply #240 on: Saturday,December 19, 2015, 03:56:46 PM »
ha ha.
it looked better last night..
well before dark, i had realized this was going to be just a learning experience, and felt free to make crude adjustments.
the opening is bigger(obviously), but by being cut to fit the opening, the gasket was too "big" to grab much glass
i suspect it will fit the window better next time, and i'll see how much body it grabs.
mabe i'll learn something else then.
still wonder what that flap is for, on the gasket. good dirt trap...

Are you installing the windscreen before installing the dashtop? My impression was that it would be difficult/impossible to install the dashtop after the screen was in place.

I'm just about to fit my windscreen, but in my earlier car there is no rubber gasket surround, so I will be using 3M urethane and chrome trim strips all around the edges.

Is your rear window in place, or will you be fitting that, too? If so I'll be very interested to see how you approach it as I've failed after several attempts with mine.

Offline rascott

« Reply #241 on: Saturday,December 19, 2015, 05:03:50 PM »
i have been taking my dash apart so frequently, i haven't been putting the crash pad(cover) back on. the leading edge just tucks under the windscreen rubber, doesn't it?
been trying to salvage the vinyl "leather" on mine, and i may do something else, but i've taken it off and on a few times with a windscreen in place.....
there was none of that in place when i got this little rolling pile of parts, and i have few interior pieces.
i'll be interested in your windscreen experience- do your materials look similar to what i am using?
did you find any of that bostik*** stuff?
get your glass from richard? he said he had some going to so cal...
i think the rear may be easier(?), mabe when i fix the rotten bulkhead.
richard

Offline BDA

« Reply #242 on: Saturday,December 19, 2015, 05:58:42 PM »
When I got my car new, the vinyl on the crash pad was all pulled up around the windshield - one of the reasons I got it so cheap! I had heard back then that one owner had the crash pad cover pop riveted under where the windshield rests. I had an interior shop cover mine with the finest hyde of naugas (with stitching on the edge) and I asked him to do the pop rivet trick though he probably glued it. In any event, I don't really know what went on under that since there is a bead of black silicone that covers where the crash pad cover and the windshield meet. IIRC, the TC, and I suspect the S2 had a black plastic trim piece that covered that joint.

You might see if any of that is applicable to you, but I think no matter how you do it, the crash pad should be installed first as jjbunn says. Of course, if you are able to tuck the edge of the crash pad neatly with the windshield installed, that would make it easier to take the crash pad off later should you need to.

Offline rascott

« Reply #243 on: Saturday,December 19, 2015, 08:23:02 PM »
i was thinking of using a length of vacuum tube as a bead to hold the crash pad under the windscreen- i found a couple of sheet metal screws holding it down(put in before a windscreen), but assume they are not "stock" or necessary.
only thing holding it in place are the facia screws(in my case).
if i drop the steering wheel and colum, remove the fasteners, and pull the facia back, i can slip the crash pad out(or in).
some of my particular situation may be different, as there is no other interior trim.
richard

Offline rascott

« Reply #244 on: Saturday,December 19, 2015, 09:12:32 PM »
Never having done a windshield before, I've always (appears wrongfully) assumed that the windshield rubber gasket was a preformed single piece similar to the door opening gaskets. I have a windshield installation in the near future myself so it looks like some research on my part is going to be required. Richard, check the Knowledgebase for 20 plus years of experience from other owners on installing windshields. There is a link to the KB on this forum's homepage, left side.

I also want to see some pictures of how your windshield install came out.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca   

made me open the box of stuff i ordered to overhaul one door.
pulled out a length of door seal material........ my junk ones were preformed(or very well glued).
i see more learning in my future.
a formed windscreen gasket would be nice, and would look better, i'm sure.
i'll take more pictures when i attack "the lotus" again.
i should research more - i often get lost looking.
richard

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #245 on: Saturday,December 19, 2015, 11:17:12 PM »
If it's any consolation, I'd have done exactly the same thing and cut the seal to fit the body, stuck it all in place and then tried for the glass.  If you have a one-piece gasket with the corners all glued together then I reckon you'd manage fitting it to the glass first, but with 4 loose pieces I think it would be harder.

It looks like there's some large gaps to fill which makes me wonder if either the screen is undersize or the rubber seal is the wrong section.  I thought all the windscreens were the same but I suppose it's not unknown for wrong sizes to be produced by aftermarket suppliers ? might be worth comparing notes if anyone else has a screen out of their cars.

My Europa has the chromed plastic trim so not the same as yours but that rubber section you show looks similar to the one used on the Elan, which I did replace on the last respray.  On the Elan, the sort of loose "flap" which just seems irrelevant on the outside edges of the seal looks as if it's there to make a good fit against the body.  The angle between the bottom windscreen lip on the body and the windscreen wiper panel is sharp and of course it's bending the seal in a few directions at once as it curves so that flap just lies there and makes it all look even. Hard to put into words, easier to see in real life.

The rubber section for the Elan is available but not a common one, so my first thoughts are if the one you have is the right width. When I was looking I found lots which were similar but not quite right, either not thick enough at the mid section between body/glass openings, or not wide enough overall.  Do you have the old one around to compare with ?  Or perhaps someone else with the same fittings has an old one kicking around that they could measure up for comparison ?  That would be useful data to have on the forum.

I've looked but can't find the details of the seal I bought but seem to remember that the outside rubber was much wider than the internal bead.  I'll keep looking.

Brian

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #246 on: Sunday,December 20, 2015, 06:53:21 AM »
I think making the rubber fit the body was a decent idea. I used to glaze boat windows (flat aluminum frames the Europa is going to be a challenge), but the number one rule with the rubber seals is always cut them long.  You then always have to put a lot of back pressure at all joints to make the rubber fit. This because in time all those rubber seals shrink and without that you will start getting gaps. The only other thing I would do differently is not put the sealant on until the window and rubber are on the car but before you put the locking strip in by pumping the remaining gap full with a caulking gun. That's how I did my Mini windscreen and it worked well without the mess while manipulating the glass and rubber into the car.
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline Clifton

« Reply #247 on: Sunday,December 20, 2015, 07:25:31 AM »
I cut the outer edge of my windshield trim to remove my windshield. I still have the  rest of the seal in place. My windshield is sitting in the frame, loose.  I can take measurements or pictures of it if you needs. Windshield in a TripleX. I need to order a parking brake cable from SJS and was researching windshield rubber seals, trying to find one that fit the best. Is yours from Dave Bean or RD ent?

It looks like there's some large gaps to fill which makes me wonder if either the screen is undersize or the rubber seal is the wrong section.  I thought all the windscreens were the same but I suppose it's not unknown for wrong sizes to be produced by aftermarket suppliers ? might be worth comparing notes if anyone else has a screen out of their cars.

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #248 on: Sunday,December 20, 2015, 07:34:09 AM »
The original windshields from Pilkington fit just fine.  Prosource Glass in the US had been bringing in Chinese knock-offs and they fit ok-ish into the later glued in windshields but not in the earlier ones that use the rubber seal. If your windshield doesn't have "Pilkington" or "Triplex" etched into it, it may be one of the knock-offs.

Use sealants designed for sealing windshields.  Generic "silicone" sealant can attack your paint.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #249 on: Sunday,December 20, 2015, 07:38:58 AM »
For a while RDent was selling slightly under-sized windshield rubber.  I believe he has changed his supplier now.  If you are ordering a handbrake cable out of England, why not go to Banks?  He'll have the right windshield rubber as well.  He also supplies most of the Europa-specific parts to everyone one else (RD, SJS, Kelvedon, etc).

Offline Clifton

« Reply #250 on: Sunday,December 20, 2015, 01:59:42 PM »
For a while RDent was selling slightly under-sized windshield rubber.  I believe he has changed his supplier now.  If you are ordering a handbrake cable out of England, why not go to Banks?  He'll have the right windshield rubber as well.  He also supplies most of the Europa-specific parts to everyone one else (RD, SJS, Kelvedon, etc).

I didn't know Banks had the cable.  I thought they were just aftermarket. I just looked and they have it at the same price. I am trying to avoid shipping from the UK as it almost doubles the price though.  I read through the Yahoo emails this morning and found that MacGregor in the US sells the correct windshield rubber. I'm afraid to take a chance on someone that was selling a too small seal (RD). I also found a local place that might be able to make a cable for less. I'll find out on this week.

Offline rascott

« Reply #251 on: Sunday,December 20, 2015, 03:59:30 PM »
something has made me a bit uncomfortable.
i am quite sure i am using quality materials.
my glass came via prosource glass- pleasantly personal service.
gasket and lock strip came from rd enterprises, and looked like a fresh version of what had been stuck to the old window. ray gave me the heads-up that i'd be mitering the gasket.
none of this material appears to be knock-off crap.
i look at the installer. it was a circus.
i retain confidence in my suppliers.

Richard

btw-Clifton... u got me looking at universal weatherstripping. my windscreen opening may have been effected by a roof replacement.
i'm gonna try cleaning up what i have and trim to fit the windscreen, rather than the opening.
i was a bit surprised with how the window stood out, also....... not what i envisioned......
« Last Edit: Sunday,December 20, 2015, 04:47:10 PM by rascott »

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #252 on: Sunday,December 20, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
i have been taking my dash apart so frequently, i haven't been putting the crash pad(cover) back on. the leading edge just tucks under the windscreen rubber, doesn't it?
been trying to salvage the vinyl "leather" on mine, and i may do something else, but i've taken it off and on a few times with a windscreen in place.....
there was none of that in place when i got this little rolling pile of parts, and i have few interior pieces.
i'll be interested in your windscreen experience- do your materials look similar to what i am using?
did you find any of that bostik*** stuff?
get your glass from richard? he said he had some going to so cal...
i think the rear may be easier(?), mabe when i fix the rotten bulkhead.
richard

My later car (as jbcollier pointed out) doesn't use any rubber trim or locking strips - the glass was fitted using butyl strip, I believe. Nowadays one uses urethane instead of butyl - which is what I have on hand (some 3M 08693). I think you can still get butyl strip, though. The glass just sits in the aperture, glued in place by the urethane, and finished with chrome trim glued around the edge. At least, that't the theory  :-\

My glass was in the car when I got it - no idea if it's original, but I suspect not.

As for the dash top, I had to make a new one as the original was in four pieces, and although I tried to salvage it, the thing was warped and beyond saving after I put it together.

Good luck with the glass fitting - your photos and descriptions are great to follow.

Offline rascott

« Reply #253 on: Saturday,January 09, 2016, 04:40:15 PM »
bought some new wheels- vto performance 13x5.5.
they needed tires, so i drove to a tire shop.
by the time i got there, i had found the front brakes still fail to release.
made the tire deal, and then a circus act ensued, as they were afraid of the car.
the book said the wheels were so far out of stock spec., claimed liability problems if they put the wheels on the car.
they put the tires on the new rims, then rolled them just outside the shop. i did the rest, in a very busy parkinglot.
probably on utube by now.......

the caliper repair details in the workshop manual made it sound like the pistons just come out.
i struggled.
mabe the next one will be easier.
mabe they can be salvaged..........
moving right along- happy new year.

Offline BDA

« Reply #254 on: Saturday,January 09, 2016, 05:18:48 PM »
It helps if the tire/wheel shop will let you install the wheels. None of them is going to have anything that will jack up the front of the car. The shop that mounted my tires was very accommodating and let me jack up the car and generally help them. I suspect letting me wrench in their shop was a liability issue, too, so I appreciated it. I appreciated it too because they showed me that two of my wheels were bent (the local wheel repair guys wouldn't touch them and so far, it's not annoying enough to have them fixed) and I made sure the lugs were torqued with a torque wrench and not an impact wrench. Your wheels will look great!

The calipers should be ok and rebuildable. There is a square section O-ring that seals between the two halves. You should probably want to replace that. I'm pretty sure Bean has them. Stainless steel pistons are also available. If you need/want them, Bean probably has them, too. I know r.d. has them.