3 (21.4%)
Q2 2015
1 (7.1%)
End of the northeast's driving season 2015
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
Its a Europa, it'll never be ready for the road
3 (21.4%)
Its ready now, the restoration shop is using it on the weekends and does not want to give it back
4 (28.6%)
Never!
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: Saturday,February 28, 2015, 05:36:03 PM

Author Topic: When is Rob's car going to be ready?  (Read 9320 times)

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
Re: When is Rob's car going to be ready?
« Reply #30 on: Friday,January 02, 2015, 03:21:58 PM »
It has to be ready before April 2015! :pirate:

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #31 on: Saturday,January 24, 2015, 04:55:41 AM »
the issues with the carb continue.   :confused:

Online BDA

« Reply #32 on: Saturday,January 24, 2015, 10:23:35 AM »
I went back a few posts where you said the shop was using DD webers. I went here (http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/Weber_Carburetors_s/2.htm) and didn't see DDs. I couldn't tell from a quick look whether you have a Renault motor but I assume you do in which case, the 32/36 D* series is probably what is called for and it should be pretty straightforward to get it going as it's not something that is new. Even if you have a twink, I know of a guy who has them on his car and it runs fine. There's something wrong here. This just shouldn't be this big a deal. It might be time for a second opinion. Maybe you can find someone who's been down this road before and can supply the proper equipment or smarts to get it going. Either these guys don't have their heart in it or don't have the smarts to do it correctly.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #33 on: Saturday,January 24, 2015, 10:51:15 AM »
32/36 DGV carbs have progressive throttles while a DD has throttles that open in sync:

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/uploads/monthly_09_2007/post-3830-1189938996_thumb.jpg

John

Online BDA

« Reply #34 on: Saturday,January 24, 2015, 10:54:13 AM »
Hmm... I'm always learning something new - and quite often from you, John. Thanks (again)! I wonder why they weren't listed on that site. Maybe they don't carry them?

In any event, I still don't think this should be this big a deal.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #35 on: Saturday,January 24, 2015, 02:43:29 PM »
For all of the issues that you are having with these DD Webers, it may have been simpler and much easier to bolt on some DGV or similar carbs. I replaced my stock Solex with a DFAV Weber. Straight out of the box, the jetting was pretty much in the ballpark; it was drivable as is. As I put more miles on it I may have to the the jetting but the only adjustment that I had to make was to the idle mixture screw.

Joji Tokumoto 

Offline ron parola

« Reply #36 on: Saturday,January 24, 2015, 05:05:16 PM »
GOOD GOD MAN!! a carb is a carb! A lot of carb issues can be related to ignition faults, I sorry but I don't believe they can't get "small enough" jets; Webers are known for their tuneablity. I have taken less time to convert my (ecotec) to Megasquirt injection than they have in tuning your carb. My question to you is what IS the actual running issue, ie hard start, no idle, flat spot on accel, surge midrange, no top end revs? Do check coil output, dwell, timing AND if the engine was apart cam timing. Also crossfiring in the dist cap OR wires and tight valves. AND how can a carb be "completely worn out", throttle shaft and bushings may not be worth replacing but that would just be a idle or sticking throttle prob, everything else is fixable with the exception of a BROKEN body!! But I really think you should get it out of there, they seem to be fairly incompetent as far as engine tuning! Help us out here; any info you can supply us can HOPEFULLY resolve this issue! Good Luck ronp

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #37 on: Tuesday,January 27, 2015, 04:37:51 PM »
The issue had been, at idle it ran fine, once on the gas it ran rough, and blew heavy black smoke.    We tried re jetting the carb.  but no luck.  at that point we found an electrical issue.  we fixed that.  now it runs fine at idle and once on the gas it cuts out.

Offline blasterdad

« Last Edit: Tuesday,January 27, 2015, 06:46:51 PM by blasterdad »

Offline ron parola

« Reply #39 on: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 10:26:06 AM »
Cuts out with black smoke also, or cuts out with lack of fuel?, too much fuel generally would not cause it to cut out, run crappy yes. Are they changing just the main jets or also the midrange jets. At this point main jets would not be in use. And I believe this is not a progressive linkage carb but the throttle plates both open at the same time ( not the best for street use) so both barrels have to be jetted. Since they both open together you do have the possibility for a lower speed flat spot, for racing there IS no lower speed so no problem. With these you probably have to run more accelerator pump. ronp

Offline ron parola

« Reply #40 on: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »
I was just thinking, so you say they couldn't get SMALL enough jets BUT it idles ok, that means the idle jets are close, BUT the smoke and cutting out (IF caused by being too rich) when you rev it up is controlled by AIR jets. These are the jets that go down the top of the carb, not the ones that go in the side. To lean it out you need bigger air jets for mid range. rp

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #41 on: Saturday,April 04, 2015, 02:28:44 PM »
It is possible whom ever voted Q2 2015 is the winner. I am told it is very close....  not holding my breath

Online BDA

« Reply #42 on: Saturday,April 04, 2015, 05:55:55 PM »
I'm not holding my breath either, but I am hoping that this long sad story will come to a happy ending soon!

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #43 on: Sunday,April 05, 2015, 06:55:18 AM »
It is possible whom ever voted Q2 2015 is the winner. I am told it is very close....  not holding my breath

That would be me, I think. Who would have thought that it would take this long for a jetting issue to be resolved. Give us a final update when it's running.

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #44 on: Thursday,April 30, 2015, 03:15:32 PM »
I have the answer:

Today.