Author Topic: Very high idle ...  (Read 4785 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Very high idle ...
« Reply #15 on: Monday,March 30, 2015, 01:23:57 PM »
^^^^ what he said....    I think you've found your air leak !

my gut feel would be to use gaskets on every sealing surface, in fact having seen how it's held together I think I'll retract my "I don't use sealant" and have some on as well.

Brian

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #16 on: Monday,March 30, 2015, 02:38:34 PM »
^^^^ what he said....    I think you've found your air leak !

my gut feel would be to use gaskets on every sealing surface, in fact having seen how it's held together I think I'll retract my "I don't use sealant" and have some on as well.

Brian

OK! Understood - I will add a gasket (and probably also some way of tightening the inner upper nuts better), and report back!

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #17 on: Friday,April 03, 2015, 11:01:50 PM »
I sealed the inlet manifold to the exhaust manifold using some "Permatex 85420 Permashield" gasket maker, just to see if that made a difference - it didn't. (If it reduced the problem I was going to make a pair of gaskets.)

I must have something else leaking like a sieve. Tomorrow I will check that the butterflies really are closing properly. As they are a long way in from the inlet stacks, I'm not sure quite how to check...

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday,April 04, 2015, 02:38:15 AM »
Try using a long tube, like from a vacuum cleaner, putting it to your ear, and seeing if you can hear any sucking from the manifold joints.

If that fails, try covering the manifold with soapy bubbles and seeing if the bubbles start disappearing from the manifold joints (the reverse of checking for a puncture in a tyre).

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #19 on: Saturday,April 04, 2015, 11:36:42 PM »
Oh shucks, now that isn't going to plan. I was convinced you'd found the problem when you posted the pictures and we could see how difficult it was to bolt the manifold securely.

The soap solution idea is a good one for finding leaks, I think I'd modify it slightly and use neat washing up liquid applied with a paint brush around the manifold although it there's a leak underneath then it's a tough job to see it.

On a positive note, I still reckon it's going to be something simple in the end, and at least the engine is running !  I'll scribble a few random thoughts which might spark an idea somewhere....

most webers I've seen have very hefty return springs to force the throttle closed so if yours doesn't, there's one option. You've got the cable disconnected, try unscrewing the idle speed screw completely and then pushing the throttle closed to see if it drops the speed.

if you shut down fuel flow completely with the idle mixture adjustment screw then it would make me look elsewhere in the carb settings. Air leaks are the classic answer to elevated idle speeds but even so you need some petrol - it won't run at 4k on air alone  :)

I could see the float height together with a sticking throttle causing the problem by feeding in a rich mixture but that's a long shot. On another tack, what sort of flexible mount do you have there, is it a rubber block or a metal insert holding rubber o-rings ?  I did get an O-ring twisted out of the holder once and that cause a problem on that inlet tract as you might expect - easily done and difficult to spot until you pulled it apart.

Do you have something like a colortune spark plug ? If so, that would instantly let you know if the problem was a rich or weak mixture and if it was on one or both sides of the inlet manifold.

As I said, random thoughts (some of which will be rubbish  ;)  ) and I don't have a solution, but a discussion might throw up something else to look at.

Brian

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #20 on: Sunday,April 05, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
Brian and 4129R, these are very helpful ideas indeed - thanks! I'm not going to have much chance to investigate further until next weekend, probably, but will report back when I do.

My feeling is that there is something wrong with the carb. I did take it all apart for cleaning, and replaced all the gaskets etc. in the process. My fear is that I put it back together incorrectly, and that is causing an air leak. The soft mount kit I installed is brand new, and I am pretty confident it's installed properly (but I will check it for leaks with the hos suggestion).

Offline ron parola

« Reply #21 on: Sunday,April 26, 2015, 11:28:47 AM »
This may sound dumb but in one of the pix the cold start is full on, check that it's fully off, or possibly it's valve is not working correctly rp

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #22 on: Monday,April 27, 2015, 11:28:13 AM »
Just a thought, aother source of an air leak could be from the throttle shaft. In the parts diagram for the DCOE, there is an "O" ring before the throttle shaft bearing. See if greasing the bearing from the outside has any effect on idle. To see if the throttle plates are fully closing, remove the Weber and shine a flashlight down the choke towards the plate. 

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #23 on: Saturday,May 02, 2015, 04:28:27 PM »
The problem is solved! It turned out that the throttle shaft was sticking ... and this prevented the butterflies from fully closing.

Thanks for all the help with this: the ideas were very useful.

Offline BDA

« Reply #24 on: Saturday,May 02, 2015, 07:08:20 PM »
Glad you got it sorted out!  :beerchug:

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #25 on: Saturday,May 02, 2015, 11:06:32 PM »
 :beerchug:  (again)

Great news !!    and it's good to get the feedback on the cause of the problem, so thanks for the follow-up. 

Brian