Author Topic: Front wheel bearing replacement  (Read 1002 times)

Offline 4380r

Front wheel bearing replacement
« on: Tuesday,April 29, 2014, 12:39:23 PM »
I can't seem to find in the manual the instructions for front wheel bearing replacement, and in the KB there are some conflicting opinions on how to do certain things.

Can anyone point me to a fairly detail step by step for replacing the front wheel bearings?

Thanks!

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
Re: Front wheel bearing replacement
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,April 29, 2014, 01:02:19 PM »
It's not that difficult, I have done it recently and I have shot a video of it, however I haven't found the time to edit it.

I'll quickly explain the steps here:

Take the hub off the car
Take the bearings out, you can take out the inner races and the rollers while the outer races are still pressed into the hub. To remove the inner bearing, use a socket and an extension to hammer it out from the outside. The felt seal will come out as well.

The next bit is the trickiest part:
mount the hub in a vice to make things easier.
Use a punch to go through one side of the hub, and you can hammer the outer races out of the hub. There are some slots in the hub casting, where you can place your punch on the outer race. Try to rotate your hammer blows so the race comes out evenly, this way you won't damage the hub. It's easiest if you start by removing the smaller race first, because access through the bigger bearing is better. Do not throw out the outer races just yet!

Installing the new races is just the opposite. If you do not have a bearing install tool, just take one of the old outer races, turn it upside down and place a socket on there, that way you can evenly distribute the forces on the new outer race while you hammer it in.
Pack the new bearings with grease and install them in the races. You can fill the hub halfway with grease (leave some room  for it to expand).

To install the felt seal, just use a socket and a hammer. The felt needs to be towards the inside of the car (so towards the upright). You can soak the seal in some EP90 gear oil before or after installation.

If I have left anything out, please ask. I'll also try to edit and upload the video of the installation, that will make things a lot easier.

Kind regards,

Serge
« Last Edit: Tuesday,April 29, 2014, 01:06:46 PM by Serge »

Offline 4380r

Re: Front wheel bearing replacement
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,April 29, 2014, 01:19:15 PM »
Thanks, seems pretty straightforward!