Author Topic: Europa or VW kit car?  (Read 12872 times)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: Europa or VW kit car?
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2013, 05:25:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum whcgt, and thanks for solving our little conundrum. I've never heard of the Sportee Monno GT. Time to do some googling, I guess. Cheers :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline whcgt

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2013, 09:12:48 AM »
Thank you, glad to be here.

Offline cal44

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2013, 03:22:30 PM »
That's it?..........no........I'm going to find and buy it?  Come on...........I need a story.  In Montana you can throw a rock and hit Canada...........go get the darn thing.  I have not heard of these either. 

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline whcgt

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2013, 03:47:34 PM »
I am in contact with Dave.  He is trying to find the scrap of paper that he had wrote the telephone number of the owner of the car. Then I need an address of course. On the Lotus Elan page, it is mentioned that Stu has driven by the car before in Calgary, with mention it is in a yard with crane trucks(perhaps this is how it found its way to the top of a storage container). So, I  wait & see if I can get a phone number & an address. Silver Star Industries, only made 5 of the Sportee Monno GT, so it is no surprise if you have not heard of the car before.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,November 13, 2013, 04:25:14 PM by whcgt »

Offline whcgt

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2013, 04:05:42 PM »
 :))
« Last Edit: Wednesday,November 13, 2013, 04:11:44 PM by whcgt »

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2013, 08:09:34 PM »
Well I have to jump in here as well. I would love to buy this car. I'm ready for a road trip.  :trophy:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline vintage fiberglass

« Reply #21 on: Friday,November 15, 2013, 09:15:57 AM »
Well,
I was totally shocked by this post.  Almost all of the pics you see in this forum I already have of these cars.  I posted ads like made a few years ago looking for one in the VW hobby circles and in Canada.  I wanted one for about 10 years now and missed the last one that came up for sale a few years ago.  I was tipped off by friend that this one was just posted.  You almost have to be a vintage VW speed guy to like these.  This was a kit car, but was mostly used to ice race and road race.  Not really fancy by any means.  They copied the Lotus look.  Maybe even used parts of a damaged body to make a mold who knows.  They had super hopped up VW 36hp engines in them to run in the lower CC classes. 

I am interested to buy this car as well, would but an old speed VW engine pack in it from the 1950's / early 1960's.  I can pay a finder fee if necessary.  Let me know.  Tim DiGuardi 

Offline whcgt

« Reply #22 on: Friday,November 15, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »
Surprise, surprise, & hello old friend Tim. The Sportee Monno GT was designed & made in 1964, way before the Lotus Europa was made. Glad you like the photos, I put up some new photos, that I know you have not seen before of the Sportee Monno GT. I am friends with Ted Mrochen & he sent me a cd with alot of his vintage racing days & racing cars. They did not copy the Europa look. Anyhow, nice to hear from you Tim. The chase is on. :))
« Last Edit: Friday,November 15, 2013, 01:21:39 PM by whcgt »

Offline whcgt

« Reply #23 on: Friday,November 15, 2013, 03:46:18 PM »
Update to this thread. Dave240 is going to buy the car. If he decides to sell, I have been promised the 1st opportunity to own the Sportee Monno GT.  :huh:
« Last Edit: Friday,November 15, 2013, 03:47:52 PM by whcgt »

Offline cal44

« Reply #24 on: Saturday,November 16, 2013, 03:52:54 AM »
Well.........I'll be dipped..........1964.  This is quite the story and education.  Thanks lads.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Sportee

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday,April 09, 2014, 06:42:47 PM »
Update. Dave did not buy this car. I ended up with it.  I am a member of an Alberta Sports car club and another member had one of these cars back in the '70s and used to ice race it with a Corvair motor in it. It's a father/son project now with intentions of vintage racing it. It needs a full restoration. I am interested in any historical information anyone may have. I have collected some so far. Thanks

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #26 on: Friday,May 02, 2014, 09:32:57 AM »
Update. Dave did not buy this car. I ended up with it.  I am a member of an Alberta Sports car club and another member had one of these cars back in the '70s and used to ice race it with a Corvair motor in it. It's a father/son project now with intentions of vintage racing it. It needs a full restoration. I am interested in any historical information anyone may have. I have collected some so far. Thanks

Ok so now you have the car. Can you post more pictures? I am fascinated with this little gem. I'm like you, if I had it I would definitely make it into a vintage racer.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)