Author Topic: Insurance need i say more!!  (Read 1008 times)

Offline califkid_66

Insurance need i say more!!
« on: Thursday,June 13, 2019, 11:22:00 AM »
When i bought my car last year i transferred it to my name then got it towed to my place
Got plates no problem the i called my insurance they told me they insure only recent cars so i found a place the lady tells me one side 168 dollars  for the whole year she said if you have an evaluation then we can settle on what the value is if you don’t then they are gonna see how much one simular is worh
so i was ok with that i told the lady i want to restore the mecanical before using it
she told me call me when you are ready
So i called her and she goes you had the car one year no insurance we cannot insure you called three different places and finally the insurance brocker says hagerty insurance does insurance but some restrictions and asked for pictures both sides  2 interior and one engine bay  i should get the answer in 24 to 48 hours
Moral of this is if you buy a car and plate it insure it right away or else it’s gonna be harder and more expensive to insur

Offline BDA

Re: Insurance need i say more!!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,June 13, 2019, 12:44:26 PM »
I recently got Hagerty insurance. I shouldn't have waited. They are great. I'm not aware of any restrictions and I didn't have to send any pictures, but that may be because you're in Canada. You should be able to call them directly which may be faster.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,June 13, 2019, 01:06:22 PM »
I've used Hagerty and currently Grundy. I fall within the mile limit and it us much cheaper than "regular" car insurance for what you get. You choose the value of your car and pay accordingly.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,June 13, 2019, 04:16:37 PM »
I was refered an insurance broker from another insurance company The broker said she needs to submit it to hagerty there was a ton of question plus pictures
But i didn’t know i could call hagerty directly now should i wait or just call directly
Thanks for your help !!

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,June 13, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »
I would start doing whatever the broker said (questions, pictures, etc.) and call Hagerty in the morning. If they still need the pictures and questions, you'll be on your way. If not, you can stop all that and do what Hagerty says.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,June 13, 2019, 04:41:09 PM »
I tried to get insurance with Hagerty but they would not insure me because I have a carport (3 walls) and not a fully enclosed garage. It also didn't help that I live in South Florida.  Broward and Miami-dade Counties are considered extra high risks, no doubt due to hurricanes and tropical storms.  I wound up adding my Europa to my Progressive Insurance policy.  You give them a value of what you want to insure your car for and that determines your rate. It was more expensive than Hagerty but absolutely no restrictions such as mileage, how often I drive, or where I drive to.  During the cooler months, I alternate driving my Europa to work which would be a no no for Hagerty.  I think Hagerty's rates are incredible but only if you live in the right zip code.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,June 13, 2019, 04:45:50 PM »
That’s what i did i answered all the questions and sent the pictures the only thing was the windshield was missing but i told her it was gonna be installed by a professional
I just tried looking on the internet and as soon as i get to the hagerty website it redirects me to and suggest the broker that i called
And they say to insure a car
it must not drive more than 6000 kilometres a year cannot use the car as a regular car like going to work
and must have 10 years of driving experience witch mean i can’t let my son drive my car
i really don’t like being restricted like this the other insurance it would have been insured as a regular car and no restrictions

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,June 13, 2019, 04:54:39 PM »
One of the pictures i sent i said i valued my car at ten grand cdn and wanted only one side insurance im gonna wait to see what happens

Offline HelpMyLotus

« Reply #8 on: Friday,June 14, 2019, 03:56:00 AM »
Hagerty all day long.  I live in Michigan (home of Hagerty) and have been VERY pleased with the company.  I had several conversations with the representatives and felt they are less of a corporate monster and more of a family.   While being a very large company I can still call and talk to people.  I had an issue with the Lotus trans one day and they did everything they could to be sure my baby (with locked drive train) was transported safely to my home.  The towing company had critical and precise instructions on what type of truck was needed and how to handle the obscure vehicle. 

I haven't had an accident or claim with any of my cars through Hagerty but my father was an insurance adjuster who worked closely with them.  He too was impressed with the "no hassles just get it fixed" mentality of the company. 

Lastly, I have a 1967 Cooper S.  It is completely original including paint.  When insuring it through Hagerty they asked the question "do you race it or have it on racetracks?"  I was hesitant but asked "so what if I do? Is there a coverage for that?"   She did some research and came back with "huh, it is the same rate".   So of course I said " YES!   I race it and will be at Grattan Raceway this weekend!".     The company is built around the fact that we drive our cars with an extra eye on traffic and situations.  We drive them safely.   We likely will never claim on them. 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #9 on: Friday,June 14, 2019, 04:45:06 AM »
Limited use policies are very economical and usually very accommodating as long as you follow their proscriptions.  If you don't then don't expect coverage.  One chap was late home from an event and parked in his carport at home rather than his usual secure storage.  The car was stolen, never recovered and he received nothing from his insurance.  Quite a fews of my customers used limited policies.  Many of them also joked about how their trip to Kookamunga or Tuktoyaktuk was a "club" event.  Or that their driving to work was driving to the "shop".  Just because usually nothing happens, doesn't mean nothing will ever happen.  YMMV.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #10 on: Friday,June 14, 2019, 05:05:46 AM »
I have a horror story with,” Allstate.  “ after having 25 years of no tickets or accidents my wife and I received a letter from Allstate stating or insurance was being terminated. The reason was astounding,
We have deemed that you are due to have an accident, in short. A bunch of mumbo jumbo thanking us , but goodbye.
 Haggerty has my business on the corvette, with restrictions. It must be housed inside a garage .
Dakazman

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #11 on: Friday,June 14, 2019, 05:52:23 AM »
I am also a satisfied Hagerty customer. I’d also like to put my two cents in for local small home town insurance agencies. Like travel agents (if these even exist anymore) these guys have to work really hard to earn their middleman status. Mine hooked me up with Hagerty and even spared me a trip to the dreaded Mass Registry of Motor Vehicles.

t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #12 on: Friday,June 14, 2019, 08:46:29 AM »
Just received a phone call from the insurance broker
Guess what they accepted my Lotus Europa
With fees and taxes around 210 cdn
when i called and was told it was going to be hagerty
i was afraid the insurance price would be really expensive
so i took the minimum
My car valued at 10,000 dollars cdn
1000 dollar deductible
4500 kilometres per year
10 year driving experience
car must sleep in garage

By the pictures they valued my car at around 16,000 cdn
But the lady said if i get it appaised they would go with the appraisal
I agreed to a value of ten to get lower price insurance
 I told the insurance i was going to send my car with caa to a glass intaller and was going to drive it back home so and they agreed
Now im really really happy
🤪👍

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #13 on: Friday,June 14, 2019, 11:25:14 AM »
Be careful what you post. Insurance companies review all the sports car web sites.......

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #14 on: Friday,June 14, 2019, 02:20:59 PM »
Don’t worry its going to a professional glass installer i don’t want any problems