Author Topic: Restoring fuel tanks  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Gmg31

Restoring fuel tanks
« on: Thursday,July 23, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
I once saw an episode of wheeler dealers where Ed removed a very old fuel tank and  sent it to a fella who sprayed the inside with an epoxy lining. Any one got any experience of this please. My car has two fuel tanks and I don't want to have to replace them.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Restoring fuel tanks
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,July 23, 2015, 02:28:42 PM »
Have a look at this:-

http://www.rust.co.uk/0002-slosh-ethanol-resistant-petrol-tank-seal/p405062/

You might be able to do it yourself, or rub a bottle and use the magic genie that pops out !

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,July 23, 2015, 02:30:33 PM »
I remember years ago there was a paint-like product that you could pour inside a cleaned tank, shake it about for a bit and then drain out leaving the tank with a pristine epoxy (?) coating inside.  It was meant for tanks which had light porosity and were otherwise structurally sound, so a split seam for example wasn't the typical market. 

For some reason the name "slosh tank sealant" came to mind, I googled it and amazingly came up with something that very much resembles what I was thinking of

http://www.rust.co.uk/0002-slosh-ethanol-resistant-petrol-tank-seal/p405062/

Personally I'm not a big fan of such things although I agree they can work. It's basically a thin coating and all coatings rely on good preparation, the thinner the coating the better your prep must be. I can see how you can swill the tanks with acid to get rid of loose and surface rust then follow up with neutralising and the sealant coat, but as before, how long it lasts is down to getting the surface perfect.

I'd use it if I was on a budget (I did something very similar on my Elan tank when that started leaking in the 70s) but for a long term car I think I'd just replace the tank. The problem goes away for ever and you can move on to the next "feature"...   you'll find plenty - it's a Lotus   :)

Brian

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,July 23, 2015, 02:35:27 PM »
Snap !

Online BDA

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,July 23, 2015, 02:39:52 PM »
I agree with Brian. If you can see your way to (a set of) aluminum tank(s), that would be the way to go. If you're going to clean up your steel tanks, I'd take the opportunity to put a really good coat of paint on the outside, too. If you have a TC, you might even look at doing something to keep water from accumulating on the top of the tank.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,July 23, 2015, 02:42:35 PM »
 :)

now what are the chances of that ?  What numbers have you got in this week's lottery ?   ;)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,July 23, 2015, 03:41:29 PM »
I once saw an episode of wheeler dealers where Ed removed a very old fuel tank and  sent it to a fella who sprayed the inside with an epoxy lining. Any one got any experience of this please. My car has two fuel tanks and I don't want to have to replace them.
In the States most radiator repairs shops also clean, repair, and pressure test fuel tanks. Don't know if that's an option in the UK. I've had many tanks done over the years and has turned out to be a good option.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #7 on: Friday,July 24, 2015, 07:57:43 AM »
Thank you all for your advice.  I'm taking mine off on a couple of weeks so I'll post an update on my restoration feed what I decide to do. Cheers

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #8 on: Friday,July 24, 2015, 11:12:33 AM »
POR 15 also makes a tank sealer kit.  I don't know if it is available across the pond but in North America it is available.
http://www.por15.com/Fuel-System-Restoration_c_17.html
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline 2483R

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,July 26, 2015, 06:34:59 AM »
I used a product called Kreem over 30 years ago on both my Europa fuel tanks. It is still holding up after all these years. I highly recommend it.

They sell their own cleaner and rust removal, which I also recommend. I still have their rust removal liquid, which I use on rusted parts from time to time. It loses some of its potency over time, but will still clean rusted parts. If you buy it, don’t throw it away.

Available on-line or in many motorcycle shops.
http://www.kreem.com/index.html

Ron

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #10 on: Monday,July 27, 2015, 02:51:52 AM »
That looks great, thanks all