Author Topic: Hello i am a new europa owner  (Read 15406 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Hello i am a new europa owner
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday,July 01, 2015, 10:50:10 AM »
Very nice car! I especially like the Dellortos. Having new Lockheed boosters is good, too. I think you got a good one! I hope you got a good price!

Offline Jesspo

« Reply #76 on: Wednesday,July 01, 2015, 11:04:08 AM »
Hi BDA

it was not cheap, but i think it was a fair Price. In europe the Prices are higher then in the US. But i specally looked for an original european car. This car was delivered to netherlands in Februar 1973 and is still matching numbers. It was restored in 1998 by an netherland Lotus dealer.

Offline vito84

« Reply #77 on: Sunday,July 05, 2015, 01:28:57 PM »
Hi Frank
The new europa came from vanderkooi sportscars??
Congratulations for your choice. However before buying my Europa from Germany I optioned the two yellow  europas in Netherland where you bought your first Europa.
Let me know

Edo
https://www.facebook.com/lotuseuropatwincamrestorationproject
Lotus Europa TC
Lotus Elan S2
Lotus Elan +2
Lotus Elise S1
Lotus Esprit S1

Offline Jesspo

« Reply #78 on: Sunday,July 05, 2015, 01:42:34 PM »
Hi Edo

Yes it is the car from vanderkooi. It is not perfect but in good condition and i thinl i can fix the rest of issues.

When i bought the yellow one, the dealer has only this car. He told me the other car was sold to belgium.

When you bought yours in germany please tell me more about your car.

Greetings Frank

Offline vito84

« Reply #79 on: Sunday,July 05, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »
Hi Frank

I think you have an amazing Europa now, congratulations!
I found my car last August in Germany and I decided to purchase it because was a good one.
German owner bought it from England in 2012 but he tell me that was a wrong purchase for him (because he didn't like drive the car)so he left it parked for 2 years.
The car is in good condition (needs also lot of works) but I'm on the road only from April 2015 because Italian bureaucracy is too bad....
This week I start to change front suspension and overhaul all rusty parts such as wishbones and anti roll bar.
In which part of Germany are you from? I come from Varese (Italy) about 10 minutes to Switzerland so I'm not to far from Germany!
Lotus Europa TC
Lotus Elan S2
Lotus Elan +2
Lotus Elise S1
Lotus Esprit S1

Offline Jesspo

« Reply #80 on: Sunday,July 05, 2015, 11:45:09 PM »
Hi Ed

I am living near cologne so this is far away from you.

Your car looks good but for me RHD was not an option. So the market was very limited. I want an original EU car and was looking for a original special. This are very hard to find. So i think my car was more expensive as yours but for me it was the best what i can get. I hope in the future this are the Europa with the best prices so the more invest is o.k..

On my car are also several things to do. one of the main things is the oil leaking of engine and gearbox, i will fix this next winter. From the suspension and chassis is my car great and nothing to do. the car was restored 17 years ago by vanderkooi but has only run then 3years and 7thousend km.

Greetings Frank

Offline vito84

« Reply #81 on: Monday,July 06, 2015, 02:40:26 AM »
Hi Frank

yes, I think Lotus Europa special with 365 gearbox is the most valued Europa suc as the first serires S1/A.
Also my Europa lost too oil from gearbox and engine and i'm going to overhaul both next winter.
However I hope to go with the Europa to AVD oldtimer the next year so if it's possible we can meet.

Mfg

Edo
Lotus Europa TC
Lotus Elan S2
Lotus Elan +2
Lotus Elise S1
Lotus Esprit S1

Offline Jesspo

« Reply #82 on: Monday,July 06, 2015, 07:19:33 AM »
Hi Edo,

Nürburg Ring is not far for , around 120km. But the OGP is a very great Meeting and it is very hard to park there, so if i drive to the OGP i will not come with the Lotus.

I think there are other Meetings in Germany which are more interested, like the Jim Clark Revival at the Hockenheim Ring, or the Historic Trophy at Nürburg Ring. They are a bit smaller and you can order a package with a park ticket in a Club area. Maybe we can sort something out for next year.

I will drive with my Europa to the Schloss Dyk classics this year, but this is also very near to my home.

http://www.schloss-dyck-classic-days.de/

There is also an arrangement for parking form the german Lotus Classic Club.

greetings Frank

Offline Jesspo

« Reply #83 on: Thursday,July 23, 2015, 07:23:40 AM »

I have done most of the work in the last weeks on the Europa as:

replacing the four tires
replacing the old shocks and springs to new Protech Shocks
new bushes in the the steering rack
cleaning the carburators and changing the speed membrans
adjusting the carburators
replacing ignition wires and cap, adjusting ignition
new bush with selfmade parts in the gear linkage ( great improvment of shifting )
many many hours spending on polishing the car, but now it looks very great from the paint

and some other smaller things

now the handling and driving is much better, i the overall looking is come to an other Level. I am driving more then 1000km till i have it and as more i drive the car as more fun it makes for me. I was on some odl car Meetings with the car the last weeks and many people are interested in this car.

Here are some updated pictures

Offline BDA

« Reply #84 on: Thursday,July 23, 2015, 08:16:25 AM »
She's a beauty, Jesspo! Get used to the attention!!  :lotus:

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #85 on: Thursday,July 23, 2015, 08:25:56 AM »
Nice work, Frank. Your Europa is gorgeous. I agree that the more you drive it, the more enjoyable is becomes. When I first bought mine I wasn't sure that I had made the right decision. But the more I drove the more fun is was.... and still is. I find the longer drives are the most fun, which is helped by the fact that the car keeps working better and better until about 100 miles into a run, at which point it is running at its peak.... and the grins get bigger. Have fun. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Jesspo

« Reply #86 on: Thursday,July 23, 2015, 12:51:46 PM »

I all agree with you.

i am back some minutes ago from a drive with the TC. The first time i drive the engine higher then 4500U/min, and whau if you increase the shift Point to 5500U/min on the engine the car goes very good.

my car has stand most of the last 13 years, so i am very careful to give the engine time to come to his top Level again.

But i am very happy with the car. It has not the power then my Porsche spyder, but the driving is very special and makes much fun.

greetings Frank

Offline pboedker

« Reply #87 on: Thursday,July 23, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »
 :coolpic:

It looks great, Frank. I understand why it got so much attention at the car meeting you visited.

What tires did you buy for it? (always good with another data point, especially from other european owners).
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline Jesspo

« Reply #88 on: Thursday,July 23, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »

Hi Peter,

tires are a piont i am not really happy with this.

I like to make the Europa as much as i can to original condítion, so i decide to put on the front 175/70HR13 and rear 185/70HR13 tires. This is the original tire size for the TC alu rims. But i Germany it is impossible to get this size in HR till 210km/h from a well known tire company. You only can get China tires. So i ordered a set from Nankang. I have no experience with them, but after driving them around 400km now, it look likes they are not bad in dry conditions. I will not drive in rainy weather or i am very careful.

So in the Moment i have no other option in this size of tires but they feel not bad in the moment. I drive them a bit sporty today and the car makes nothing funny things. For me the Europa is a historic car and i must not win a race with him so the tires are good enough for the Moment.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #89 on: Thursday,July 23, 2015, 02:34:32 PM »
The original car was fitted with Dunlop SP Sport tyres, with the sizes you already have.

The 175/70/13 was only fitted to the Lotus Europa and the Triumph Dolomite Sprint, both of which I owned in 1978.

I doubt any Europa has the correct size and aspect ratio tyre fitted of any good well known make.

The HR was rated up to 130 MPH, with the SR rated to 113 MPH.