Lotus Europa Forums > Resources, Parts and Products

Carbon Fiber - Molding projects - Reproduction panels

(1/3) > >>

Chuck Nukem:
I want to start a thread to cover the manufacture of molds, and demonstrate the practical implementation of carbon fiber in these cars. So far I have made a mold for the TCS rear decklid and spoiler. I am getting a hand from a friend with the molding of S1 Doors. He has many years of mold building experience, and you can really tell if you compare it to my solo attempts! I picked the S1 doors because they are probably the most challenging parts to make, and in my opinion are the best looking on any Europa. I also think a carbon/kevlar/honeycomb door panel, besides adding a nice look to the interior, is probably not a bad idea on these little cars in the age of giant trucks and SUV.

If anyone else has a current mold or carbon project going feel free to contribute here!

Kendo:
Very interesting project. Please tell more. Is the green a colored resin layer? The fibers look like glass (white). Is that a first layer before the carbon?

BDA:
Great stuff, Chuck!!!  :beerchug:

Chuck Nukem:
The doors in the first pictures are from my S1. The flanging was staged around them to serve as the mold flange surface. The green paint is a tooling gel coat which serves as a hard outer skin of the mold which is what the carbon gets laid on later to become a new door. The initial fiberglass is used to build the mold surface. The next steps will be a wood bracing which will help to keep the mold in shape. Once we finish the inside surface, the flange is peeled away and the outer surface of the mold is made. Stay tuned!!

Grumblebuns:
It was confusing at first looking at the progression of the mold pictures from the top to the bottom, completion to initial mockup. This is absolutely great stuff. I was looking at making making a lot more simpler stuff then the S1 doors. I was thinking of CF air boxes and dashboards. Keep these projects coming, love it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version