Lotus Europa Forums > Technical Articles and DIY tools and tips

Registering an Imported Car in the UK

(1/8) > >>

4129R:
I have brought back 7 Europas to the County of their birth Norfolk, from the USA. 6 were basket cases, 1 was running, 4129R.

I am in the process of registering 3 at DVLA, and being "jobsworths", they are being difficult.

When you fill in the V55/5 form, the VIN number has to match both the import paperwork from HMRC, and the Title from the USA. In my case, this VIN number had to be for example 74/3089R, whereas the VIN plate says 73023089R. The 74 is the Lotus Type model i.e. Europa Twin Cam, and as we all know 3089 is the chassis and body number, and R is a Federal Spec car, (P is UK spec, and Q European spec). 

Having mastered that problem (all 3 applications were rejected for this and the reason given was in complete gobbledegook and not understandable), 3089R is still being rejected by DVLA as the Pennsylvania Title calls it 75/3089R, but the HMRC paperwork refers to it correctly 74/3089R. 

I have now sent a letter to DVLA with a photo of the VIN plate (73023089R) explaining that the car is 74/3089R and not 75/3089R, and the title issued in February 1982, some 41 years ago, is incorrect calling it 75/3089R, and saying it was first registered in 74. I sent them also a screenshot of the Lotus Europa Registry (photo below) to further evidence its nomenclature.

The other two cars were inspected today, so I hope to have two registration numbers very soon.

Fingers crossed the application for 3089R will be accepted and inspected soon.

BDA:
 Sorry that there are now 7 fewer Europas in the States but really happy that they were restored to proper running condition and will be driven! Well done!

Good luck slaying the bureaucratic beast!

lotusfanatic:
it may be worth asking (and possibly paying) for assistance from Andy Graham at Lotus Archives?
Either way, good luck with the task!

4129R:

--- Quote from: lotusfanatic on Wednesday,November 01, 2023, 01:01:49 AM ---it may be worth asking (and possibly paying) for assistance from Andy Graham at Lotus Archives?
Either way, good luck with the task!

--- End quote ---

I sent them this email ..............

4129R:
It is now over 6 months since  started to register 3089R, and 10 weeks since I replied to DVLA advising them that I had sent them all the possible documentation and evidence possible, including a photo of the VIN plate and a Certificate of Provenance from Lotus Cars Ltd.

As this is a Government Department, I have made a complain to my MP about the appalling service DVLA are providing.

I could not make a complaint to DVLA, as their on-line complaint form cannot be submitted to them without a vehicle registration number, which is the very thing I am asking them to give me. Catch 22 !!! I cannot complain about not getting a registration number, as I have not got a registration number to fill in the complaint form. Typical Government bureaucracy, which makes absolutely no sense. I am a bit "miffed". 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version