Lotus Europa Forums > Resources, Parts and Products

Lotus Europa Headlights won't turn on..THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED.

(1/3) > >>

Bud:
I have a 74 TCS...4170R...that was in storage for a long time and I am in the process of restoring it. I have done most of the work but now I am on electrics. I have inspected the wiring harness and it is in good condition other than the horns are missing.
I have verified that there is power from the switch to the front electrics headlight  and ground is ok.
I can get the side markers and parking lights to work but nothing for the lights...has anyone had this problem and is there a sure fix for it as it has been very frustrating. at one point when I had the hazards on and blinking, we got dim front headlights??????? I have no idea where the issue is and would appreciate any assistance I can get.
Thanx...Bud

SilverBeast:
I'd suggest you first
(i) Check the fuse that covers the headlights
(ii) run a long ground wire from the battery negative (for diagnostic purposes only) to the ground you are using for the headlights

You could have blown filaments on the bulb. Try just connecting one light to a 12v battery independently of harness by disconnecting the wiring to the headlight in the front compartment

Bud:
did all of this and more to confirm we had power to the new lights and everything seems right but no lights. I thought that maybe it was the central ground and will clean that up tomorrow. There is something really weird going on as if Lucas was lurking in the background

4129R:
The earth wire for the headlights is bolted to the closer plate, just below the radiator hose, and the closer plate is bolted to the front crossmember of the chassis.

I run a thick earth wire internally from those earth rings by the radiator hoses, through the footwell, past the fusebox, and earthing to the chassis via the bolts holding the brackets at the bottom of the dashboard to the chassis, so the earth is not affected by external rust and corrosion. 

dakazman:

--- Quote from: Bud on Sunday,August 14, 2022, 07:52:18 PM ---did all of this and more to confirm we had power to the new lights and everything seems right but no lights. I thought that maybe it was the central ground and will clean that up tomorrow. There is something really weird going on as if Lucas was lurking in the background

--- End quote ---

If you have power to the light, were you on the socket behind bulb?  using a jumper cable from battery earth did the new bulb turn on ?
 check both sides also. wire run goes from the radiator side to the horn side.  there are also several junction blocks under front lip of bonnet.
  dakazman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version