Author Topic: 1st Gear Hard to Select, Jumping Out of 5th Gear  (Read 49 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
1st Gear Hard to Select, Jumping Out of 5th Gear
« on: Today at 12:07:02 AM »
I have had an unusual problem which I found hard to understand.

When selecting 1st gear, it felt like the gearstick was not going far enough forward, and when driving along in 5th, it would occasionally jump out, into neutral.

The gear stick was vertical in neutral, so I had no reason to think the selector rod was at fault. It felt like it was about 1/4" too short, but the roll pins on the centre UJ were firmly in place, so I had no reason to doubt the rod was the right length.

It felt like the whole linkage was hitting something, and not going far enough back.

So I left the car in 1st gear, and looked closely at the whole rod linkage. Where the rod passes the exhaust manifold (header) it was hitting the manifold, so I had to move the UJ away from the manifold by adjusting the connection to the bracket where it attaches to the bellhousing.

I loosened the 3/4" nut and turned the bracket away from the rose joint as far as possible, but still the clearance was not enough. As I turned the bracket on the threaded rose joint, I noticed the bracket is slightly angled, so I turned it back 180' (half a turn) and the linkage was clear of the manifold. I had not realised before that the bracket (which is held to the bellhousing by the long 1/4" bolt with the 7/16" head) has a right and wrong way round to fit it.

We learn more all the time.

Offline jbcollier

Re: 1st Gear Hard to Select, Jumping Out of 5th Gear
« Reply #1 on: Today at 06:05:29 AM »
Jumping out of gear is not good.  I know you have resolved the issue that caused the problem but the issue may have started to damage the gears.  Change your tranny oil now and pray to whichever gods you're partial to.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:29:09 AM »
Jumping out of gear is not good.  I know you have resolved the issue that caused the problem but the issue may have started to damage the gears.  Change your tranny oil now and pray to whichever gods you're partial to.

It only happened 4 times, and I think it was caused by the vibration of the engine making the exhaust downpipe hit the gear change rod.

The gearbox feels very good now, better than my other 2 on the road.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:38:37 AM »
Should be ok then.

When the gear starts popping out, it is because the teeth on the gear do not fully engage with the teeth on the synchro hub.  Less surface area means more stress which means more wear.  As it keeps popping out, this wears a "slant" in the teeth.  Now the gear will continue to pop out even if you fix the reason for the poor engagement.  As 5th gear is pure unobtainium, you are truly hooped.  This was why Banks started fitting NG transaxles.