Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Hard starting...timing issue?

<< < (6/6)

Bryan Boyle:

--- Quote from: 4129R on Wednesday,March 27, 2024, 12:59:55 PM ---When the rotor arm rotates, does it describe a true circle, or an oval?

--- End quote ---

The spring clips that hold the cap down are not the most robust (as compared to the original 25D dizzy clips and Lucas cap) and the cap can be easily displaced which means when it is, the cap itself is off-centered just a bit and the rotor carves the contacts (proof is the 2 that are machined by the rotor; the opposite ones show signs of arcing from the increased clearance between the rotor and the cap.)

--- Quote ---
Is the distributor itself rotating properly, or is the cam that triggers the spark eccentric?

--- End quote ---

The issue lies within the design/material used for the spring clamps.  It's an electronic dizzy, so there is no cam, only moving part is the rotor (and advance weights).  This is the second time this has happened, so...thinking of ways of modifying/adjusting the clips to make them hold the cap on more securely.

Bryan Boyle:

--- Quote from: BDA on Wednesday,March 27, 2024, 01:08:11 PM ---I'm pretty confident my bonehead book would be thicker but let's not make this into a competition!  :D
Is the Pertronix dizzy taller or fatter than the Lucas one? I know it's tight under the carbs but I'm surprised it's that tight!

Be thankful you don't have a screw down dizzy cap or you'd have to take the dizzy out to take the cap off!! If you do use a ty wrap to hold the clips in place, I might wrap the ty wrap around the tabs of the clips rather the center since squeezing the clips would tend to loosen the tension holding the cap.

--- End quote ---

Pretty much same measurements, not too worried about that.  It is a bit tight in there...I pulled my old dizzy (the original Lucas one) out and stripped it down last night...to clean it up maybe?  They do make a P-tronix kit for it...nah...Not going to let this defeat me...I've come up against some of the best bodges Lotus designed into the Europa...not going down in flames over a distributor...lol

As for the ty-wrap...exactly where I thought it should go.  I'm going to try slightly increasing the arc of the clips and the amount of "bite" on the end where it holds down the cap to see if I can get some added 'clamping' pressure before resorting to a (d)po fix of a ty-wrap...;) 

GavinT:

--- Quote from: BDA on Wednesday,March 27, 2024, 01:08:11 PM ---
I'm pretty confident my bonehead book would be thicker but let's not make this into a competition!  :D

--- End quote ---

Agreed, no competitions.
A new thread then?  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version