Author Topic: FS - Twin cam chassis  (Read 240 times)

Offline richyb66

FS - Twin cam chassis
« on: Sunday,February 11, 2024, 07:16:59 AM »
I'm restoring an S2 and when I bought it, it came with a spare chassis. It's actually for a TC, is no use to me and is taking up space.
If anyone wants it, it's free to collect and I'm in the UK Midlands. If anyone is interested, I can get photos but it's awkward to get to. It's not rusty (painted black), and it's had a few repairs on the front end like most of them probably have. Ideally it could maybe do with a new front end which would be possible because I have all the files needed to get the new parts laser cut.

Before anyone asks, my plan is to get these files uploaded here so if they're any use, people can get their own parts made.

Offline gideon

Re: FS - Twin cam chassis
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,February 11, 2024, 05:39:33 PM »
I'm curious what the story is behind those flat pattern drawings for the TC T section? 

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,February 11, 2024, 10:30:20 PM »
Hello Richyb66,
I may be interested in the chassis,
Mark.

Offline richyb66

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,February 11, 2024, 11:09:26 PM »
I'm curious what the story is behind those flat pattern drawings for the TC T section?

My chassis front section was badly corroded and had been replaced by the previous owner with something awful he'd made. Luckily I had the old part so using that and dimensions from the factory manual, I 3D modelled the front section. I then developed the parts in to flat blanks that could be laser cut, folded and welded back together.

Offline gideon

« Reply #4 on: Monday,February 12, 2024, 07:04:01 AM »
Ah, so you have a 3D model of the S2 front section, which of course is different to the TC front section.  The 3D model is in many ways more valuable than the flat patterns - it's easier to go from 3D->2D than the other way around and you have to specify bend radii and metal type and thickness to get the bend allowances.  Some of the online laser cutting services will also do CNC bending, so there's a chance to get accurately cut and bent pieces that way.   Of course you still want a jig for final alignment.

This was my attempt at a 3D model of the S2 front section, though I never built one so it is untested. 

https://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=3020.0