Lotus Europa Forums > eBay - Craigslist Ads - Other Listings

'74 TCS FS on eBay - rough

(1/4) > >>

FourLoti:
Could be a good project for someone, but without any photos of chassis or engine, pretty risky, IMO. Love what they did with the dash and console  ::)

Ron

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196302482790?itmmeta=01HSDWKHNVM1W4TWSWT76WCVM4&hash=item2db48a2d66%3Ag%3A8eIAAOSwndZl9Jbh&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwPHgpoM9ut67AyPtLvOmQaq%2BCudLjv7oHCIm4P3E7ioK9Ow1%2FdXUWb41qCDYYWojp3tNnQjKnXM5zGJah5JuehUkki%2B%2BZtXw2Wk8tsSfDvkf5OdrN8pk%2Fc0Cf%2Br%2BO8PDWIXp21cXDgrCbarVR1QmzL6mEvbKEfD9CAyGQoiDnv7qcA4UIz5RHaMGbhzqcKAi1v1xgYh4O1LUtRwU21oOrHpsPh9oB6SLxmM87CV25UNx2gCFCxA2HjyD8MI%2BLJalGQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4abzrzLYw&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C1000%7C2500

BDA:
The seller says that the fiberglass is “starting to chip and peel off.” I think that is highly unlikely. I wouldn’t be concerned about the paint since it’s a given that it needs to be repainted but I agree that the frame is a concern. At 92K miles, the engine and tranny certainly need a rebuild. It’s not the worst restoration candidate I’ve seen but I don’t think I’d pay a whole lot more than the current $5000 price.

FourLoti:
Agree, my car sat for 25 years and didn't manage to lose either fuel tank! And there's got to be more of a story about the instruments and switches. Mass wiring meltdown? Wannabe racecar? Lost ignition key for sure. And then there's the wrong mirrors and rear badge. Not to mention the "high tech", but useless, air scoop over the carbs! As I said, there's more to the story here.

Bryan Boyle:
IMHO, what it's worth is what the starting price is...and that's being generous (thought, there is that pile of parts in OH that the seller wants 4500 for, without an engine, roached frame, and rusting away seat pans...there's one every minute).

My take: I've spent that amount when I was building 693R on a car just to break it up (I have a collection of windshield and plenum plates...turned the titles in as destroyed).  If I had the space...I'd buy it just to send the body bits off for refinishing and swap out what I have now when done.  The VIN travels with the frame, not the shell...

As for the interior...nothing there except  (maybe) the seats.  Frame?  You'd tell what's what when you pulled the shell.  Yeah, a lot of work, but in pieces, it's worth 2x (at a minimum, assuming the block and head are saveable.  1800 with doug over in Kingstown RI to rebuild...and the condition of the harness does not scare me.

So, what's it worth?  5K is strong money, and not much of a gamble if you decide to break it up.  That's what many suggested when I discovered in april 07 that Ron Zito had sold me a wreck...but, 4 months later, was driving that serial number around the block...remember, BDA?

BDA:
I've seen several strange scoop type alterations to the engine cover - all of them ugly and ill advised.

You brought up some good points and a new wiring harness might be another part of an eventual restoration. That's a $700 item from britishwiring.com.

ed: I hadn't remembered the Zito affair. It reminds me of a situation a body shop owner told me. He had a wrecked Porsche that somebody wanted badly to buy but the owner knew he just wanted it for the VIN plates so he kept it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version