Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Restoration of 3940R

<< < (2/10) > >>

berni29:

--- Quote from: Richard48Y on Saturday,April 20, 2024, 03:40:49 PM ---Tesioner on frame, sagging engine mounts, probably the trans mount too.
The simplest fix you will be doing.

--- End quote ---

Haha, you definitely speak the truth there. Actually on investigation the LHS mount does not even have bolts in it.

Berni

berni29:
Hi

Another thing that has surfaced is this damaged to the gearbox housing on the tail end, its where the reverse detent seems to be. The case where the shaft protrudes has broken. Please see picture of hole. Is this common? I know the number of the gearbox from the ID plate, but is it found on the box anywhere? I know where the type is, but I mean the unit number.

Many thanks

Berni

TurboFource:
I have never seen anyone mention this problem :confused:

BDA:
The tranny is a bit exposed to potential damage. When my car was new, I damaged the end cover of my 365. I believe I backed into a curb but it's been so long since then that I really don't remember the circumstances. As I remember, my damage was a little different from yours. I took my end cover to a motorcycle shop that did aluminum welding and they fixed it pretty quickly and easily. From the looks of yours, I'd expect it to be a pretty simple fix too.

berni29:

--- Quote from: BDA on Sunday,April 21, 2024, 09:27:09 AM ---The tranny is a bit exposed to potential damage. When my car was new, I damaged the end cover of my 365. I believe I backed into a curb but it's been so long since then that I really don't remember the circumstances. As I remember, my damage was a little different from yours. I took my end cover to a motorcycle shop that did aluminum welding and they fixed it pretty quickly and easily. From the looks of yours, I'd expect it to be a pretty simple fix too.

--- End quote ---

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies guys. The motorcycle shop idea sounds good. I know a very talented metalworker and hopefully if I bribe him with enough food he will fix it.

Berni

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version