Lotus Europa Forums > The Paddock

Cross-Flow (TS) valve-train life with performance cam?

(1/2) > >>

Richard48Y:
Wondering about expected valve-train life for an 807 with TS head.
I believe my engine is fairly low mileage since the last rebuild but the valves and seats are shot, the lifters had a lot of wear.
Cam was not good either.
I've been trying to put together a setup that would not strain the system so hard but it is being frustrating.

So I may have to just give in and run the stock setup with some Ti. retainers for at least a little weight relief.

Also looking at 6mm stems, but that brought up the question of does 6mm provide enough surface area for the rocker tips?

I used to know a really wizard engine builder but he passed on a few years ago.
So here I am, annoying everyone trying to figure it all out.

jbcollier:
I would stick with the stock set-up just because everything is much easier to source.  Coating the followers would be a great idea.  Other than that, wear is directly related to rpm.

Not uncommon for worn valve train in North American sold Renaults.  Consumers changed the oil once a year whether it need it or not and never minded maintenance schedules.  Lots of engines with excellent reps elsewhere, didn't last long here.

Richard48Y:
I am making another run at 6mm stem valves in order to make Beehive springs possible.
Custom guides are the cheapest part.
Custom springs require a two-hundred piece minimum order.
That is twenty-five sets so I expect it would take a LONG time to recoup the investment.

Willa:
HI Richard,
I am using beehive springs from an SR20 and have modified the head a little to suit, they are purchased as a set of 16. My engine is a modified 821 pushing just over 140hp at the wheels. Kelfords in New Zealand were the supplier. Good luck with the project,
Cheers,
Willa.

Richard48Y:
Unless I am mistaken an 821 is the wedge head?
Not certain if a TS/Cross-Flow can be fitted?
My head is a cross-flow.
I will look into those springs but I think cross-flow will be different.
What sort of pressures are you running and has it made a difference in valvetrain life?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version